Deferral of Examinations/Assessments and Extenuating Circumstances
This deadline is extended to June 8th @4PM
The Institute of Technology Carlow recognises that serious unforeseen life events may impact upon your academic work, and leave you unable to complete scheduled continuous assessment(s) or examination(s), including terminal examination(s), or adversely affect your performance in such assessments/examinations. Such events may include serious illness, bereavement, trauma, court attendance, etc.
The Institute’s Policy on Absence from Assessments/Deferrals covers such situations, and allows students to apply to the Examination Board for:
- A deferral of some/all programme modules until the next available examination sitting.
- Consideration of extenuating circumstances when considering final grades and GPA’s.
In light of the current evolving situation concerning Covid-19, and the decision of Academic Council held on 12th March 2020, the Institute has expanded its guidelines in relation to its Absence from Assessments/Deferrals Policy to recognise the serious impact of Covid-19 on study and examinations.
Firstly, the Institute wishes to reassure all students that it recognises the serious and disruptive impact Covid-19 may have had on students’ ability to study and complete scheduled assessments/examinations. This will be taken into account when considering examination results of each individual student.
Secondly, in addition to the grounds outlined above (serious illness, bereavement, trauma, court attendance, etc.) and in the policy, the Institute will consider applications for deferrals/consideration of extenuating circumstances from students on the basis of the following:
- Covid-19 Illness or bereavement.
- Caring Responsibilities – additional caring responsibilities for children and/or other dependants.
- Key/Front Line Workers – students who are key/front line workers and are required to work additional/different hours outside of their control.
- IT Failure/Unreliability – as teaching and assessment has moved to online platforms, the reliability of IT has become critical. Students should always attempt to ensure IT issues are resolved in advance of schedules assessments/examinations. However, students who experience IT failure or unreliability that might impact their ability to submit assessments/sit examinations can submit a deferral request on this basis.
Deferral of Examinations/Assessments and Extenuating Circumstances Form
- All parts of the online application must be completed and submitted by the learner submitted by 25th May 2020 at 5 p.m (This deadline is now extended to June 8th 4pm).
The Examination Boards meet in early June and will consider your application at that stage. The Examination Board may agree to
- defer your missed assessment(s)/examination(s) to the next available examination sitting, and/or
- take the documented reasons for absence/extenuating circumstances into consideration in coming to a decision on the learner’s overall result in a module(s), award classification and/or GPA