Welcome to the IT Carlow Medical Centre
Location: Student Services Department: The Barrow Centre, IT Carlow
Telephone: +353 (0) 59 9175606
Medical Centre Registration Form Note: You must log in with your IT Carlow email address (C00000000@itcarlow.ie) and your password. It may take a few hours after you register before you can proceed.
The IT Carlow Medical Centre is Nurse led and available to all full time registered students and apprentices throughout the academic year. The service is provided as a term time addition rather than a replacement for the student’s own GP, and is intended to provide acute care during the week when it is not possible for students to attend their own Medical Practice. The service provides treatment and referrals to community services, and promotes positive well-being through advice, information and health promotion. The College Nurse Theresa Lowry-Lehnen is available for the assessment, treatment and management of students’ health needs during the term and for the management of any illness or condition that requires special attention during college hours. Doctors attend the Medical Centre four days per week.
Medical records are private and confidential and are not part of the main Institute records
During COVID-19 restrictions are in place at the IT Carlow Medical Centre
- Strictly no walk in appointments
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19, do not attend college, stay at home, self-isolate and contact your GP or Out of Hours GP (evenings and weekends) who will arrange for COVID-19 testing. Symptoms of COVID-19 include Fever; Cough; Shortness of breath; Loss or change to sense of smell or taste.
- Students must be registered (online) to use the Medical Centre. Please register online at the beginning of term.
- Students must phone to make an appointment with the Doctor or Nurse and not attend the Medical Centre until advised by the Nurse.
- Doctor Appointments are booked on the day (Monday-Thursday) from 09.00 -10.45 by phoning the Nurse on 059 9175606.
- Only attend at the allocated time given. Maximum of 2 people only in the waiting room
- Wear a face covering and sanitise or wash your hands on arriving and leaving the Medical Centre. Maintain the 2 metre social distance rule.
- Doctor’s appointments are 15 minutes apart. The room will be sanitised between visits.
International and EU/ Erasmus Students
International and Erasmus students who do not have a GP in Ireland can contact the medical centre by phone (059 91 75606) during college hours if they have symptoms of COVID-19. The college Dr or Nurse will arrange for Covid-19 testing. You can also contact the Out of Hours Doctor (evenings and weekends) by phone should you have symptoms of COVID-19 and a test will be arranged for you.
The Out of Hours Doctors in Carlow town is Caredoc. Telephone number: 1850 334 999 or 059 913 8100. Opening Hours: Monday-Friday 18.00-08.00 and open 24 hours at weekends and Bank Holidays.
Medical Centre Information
- Nurse’s Availability: Monday-Friday 09.00- 17.00 (09.00-13.30) (15.00-17.00)
- Last appointment with the Nurse is at 16.30
- Doctor’s Availability: Monday - Thursday 11.30-13.00 by appointment only
- Doctor’s appointments are booked on the day (Monday-Thursday) from 09.00-10.45 by phoning the Nurse on 059 91 75606. Appointments cannot be booked by email.
- Doctor Appointment Fee is €10.00 (student card payment)
- Doctor Appointments are Free for out of town GMS Medical card, GP visit and Erasmus EHIC card holders
- Carlow town GMS patients are requested to contact their own GP in town
- No Charge to visit the Nurse
- Students must be registered (online) before contacting the Medical Centre
- Restrictions apply at the Medical Centre during Covid-19
E.U. Erasmus Students are entitled to free medical consultation and prescriptions during their College stay in Ireland on presentation of a valid European Health Card. A copy of EU Erasmus students EHIC card must be uploaded/ attached when registering online for the Medical Centre.
Non E.U. International Students are welcome to attend the College Doctor at the student rate of €10.00. It is recommended that Non E.U International Students have adequate medical insurance on arrival in Ireland. We encourage Non E.U International students to register with a GP in the area as the College Doctors are only available term time.
Medical Centre Services (Please note restrictions apply during COVID-19)
- Minor illness
- Minor injuries
- Chronic Disease Management
- Mental Health
- Sexual Health and Contraception
- Prescriptions and repeat prescriptions
- Phlebotomy (as requested by College Doctor/Nurse only)
- Screening Services (within service limitations)
- Smoking Cessation Services
- Vaccinations (within service limitations)
- Wound Management/ Dressings
- Ear Irrigation
- Certification of illness
- Referrals to the College Counsellors
- Triage, Health Promotion, Advice and Information
- Community and Hospital Referrals
Out of Hours Doctor’s in Carlow Town (CareDoc)
- Telephone: 1850 334 999 or 059 913 8100
- By appointment only during opening hours
- Weekdays Monday-Thursday 6pm – 8am
- Weekends: Friday 6pm - 8am Monday (24 hour service)
- Medical Card, GP Visit and EU/ Erasmus EHIC cards accepted
- Private Patients will incur a Fee
Emergencies: Call 999 or 112
Nearest A&E / Emergency Department: St Luke’s Hospital in Kilkenny
St Luke’s General Hospital: Phone: (056) 778 5000
Useful Health Information, Websites and Links
Download the Student Health Matters app
To access safe, evidence based and reliable health information with links to trusted websites all in one place.
For reputable information on COVID-19 visit the HSE, HPSC and GOV.ie websites
Download the COVID Tracker App
The following websites contain useful health information and links to services
Common Conditions (Health Information and Advice)
|Condition||Information & Advice|