If you have been called for interview, it means that the employer considers that you might be suitable for the job.
Key Points about Interviews
Stand out from the Crowd
- Be well prepared
- Present a professional image in dress and manner
- Be positive and show enthusiasm for the position
Preparation is the key – it helps you perform better, and also helps you feel more confident on the day
- Know the Company - Study the company website, study annual reports, and news on company, so that you know what is going on in the organisation and/or industry sector.
- Know what the employer is looking for by analysing the job advertisement and job description.
It is important that you know what you have to offer the company, and can talk about your qualifications, skills and experiences with confidence.
- Review the most common interview questions and think about the key points you would make in responding to these or similar questions.
Behavioural/Competency Interview/ Interview Questions: A behavioural interview question requires that you to reflect on your past experience and present real life examples to demonstrate your skills. When answering these questions use the STAR method:
- Situation - briefly describe the where/when/who of the example
- Task - outline the task or objective (what you hoped to achieve)
- Action - describe what you did - focus on your role and your input
- Result - what the outcome was and what skills you developed
- Prepare a couple of questions to ask at the end of the interview e.g. perhaps asking about opportunities for training and development.
Learn from the Experience
It is unlikely that you will be offered a position after every interview you attend. Don’t be downhearted; the interview is an opportunity to learn and improve your future performance. After the outcome of the interview, you can ask for feedback.
How can we help?
Attend a Careers Service Session on Interviews Skills or a Mini Mock Interview for interview warm up and feedback by a making an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful Links and Resources
Watch videos on employers giving career advice