Applications are currently closed and will reopen for the Academic Year 23/24 when the registration process is complete
The Student Assistance Fund
Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions
Please read this before submitting your application form
What is the Student Assistance Fund (SAF)?
Going to third level can be an exciting but expensive experience. The Student Assistance Fund (SAF) provides financial support to students who are experiencing short or long-term financial difficulties while attending higher education. The Student Assistance Fund (SAF) is managed by the Higher Education Authority (HEA) on behalf of the Department of Education and Skills (DES) and the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science.
What can I use it for?
The SAF is available to assist students with college related costs such as:
- Books and other class materials, sports kits, lab coats etc
- Rent, heating, lighting bills and other utility bills
- Essential travel
- In the case of parent students, childcare costs
- Medical costs (of an urgent nature)
- Family difficulties eg. Bereavement
- Extraordinary expenses as a result of Covid-19
What costs are not covered?
Tuition fees, registration fees, student loan repayments or any costs borne by the University are not covered by SAF.
Who can apply for SAF?
Students who are in financial difficulties and meet the criteria below may apply.
- Students who are registered on full-time or part-time courses of not less than one year in duration and which lead to an undergraduate or postgraduate award (NFQ Level 6-10), are eligible to apply for SAF.
- PhD students are funded for years 1-4 only.
- Students on Springboard courses or who are on blended/distance learning courses are eligible to apply for support through the SAF, subject to meeting the criteria outlined above.
- Students with a previous higher education qualification/period of attendance may be considered for support subject to available funding.
Students on courses that do not lead to an undergraduate qualification are not eligible to apply.
International/non-EU fee paying students are not eligible for funding.
To contact the SAF committee, please email email@example.com
The Urgent Needs Fund
The UNF is an in-house fund which supports students who find themselves in urgent financial need. The fund is maintained by the generous support of members of staff of the University.
Students make application for the fund through the Chaplain or another member of Student Services. The application is then assessed by a small committee.
The fund is used to help students who find themselves in financial straits because of robbery, needing to get home because of sudden bereavement, no food in the house, no money for transport etc. It is usually a once off assistance.
For further details contact firstname.lastname@example.org