BEng MEng CEn, CMIOSH FIEI
Department of the Built Environment, Carlow Campus
e: firstname.lastname@example.org t: 059 9175433
An experienced geotechnical engineer who has over 25 years’ experience in the design, construction and operation of roads in Ireland and US. Lecturer and researcher in geotechnical and environmental engineering at The Institute of Technology, Carlow.
- ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
- PUBLICATIONS AND OUTPUTS
- Research Supervision
- Engagement and Collaboration
Academic and Research Experience
- On-going private consultancy with Arup and other clients
- Previously Associate Director with Arup and leader of Geotechnics in Ireland. Arup are one of the leading engineering consulting companies worldwide and one of Ireland’s leading road design consultants.
- Expert witness representing a variety of clients – Insurance companies, Consulting Engineers, Local Authorities.
- Experienced in the production and review of Ground Investigation interpretative reports
- Experienced in the development and implementation of soil stabilization for infrastructure development construction.
- Experienced in the evaluation and remediation of slopes and cuttings.
- Experienced in evaluation of reusability of soil and rock products and associated testing.
Areas of interest include Geotechnical Engineering, Health and Safety and young adult education
Publications and Outputs
“Specification for Ground Investigation for Ireland”, (2016). Irish Standard for Ground Investigations for Engineers Ireland. Document was produced by a panel of engineering professionals in Ireland.
“The Use of Site Investigation Techniques for the Axial design of Offshore Piles”, (2012). Igoe, D, Gavin, K, O’Kelly, B, Byrne, B. International Conference on Site Characterization
“Should Unforeseen Ground Conditions be so unforeseen?” May 2008. Presentation to South Eastern Section of Engineers Ireland.
“Cost Overruns – Geology and Geotechnics, Breaking Ground Conference. Irish Institute of Geologists, Nov 2005.
“Concrete Floors – A Guide to Design & Construction (TR34) – Soils and Foundations” November 200. Concrete Society and the Institution of Engineers of Ireland.
“Geotechnical Aspects of Basement Design”, Basement Design Seminar, December 2002. The Institution of Engineers of Ireland.
“Design and Execution of Ground Investigation”, Earthworks in Transportation Seminar, December 2001, The Institution of Engineers of Ireland.
“Effectiveness of Geotextiles as an Alternative to Subballast”. Selig, ET and Byrne, BJ, 1993. Proceeding, Fifth International Heavy Haul Railway Conference, Beijing, China, June, pp. 223-227.
Soil Stabilization – various final year projects from 2011 to present
Engagement and Collaboration
Ecocem Ltd evaluation viability of lime as soil stabilizer
IGSL Ltd – Pyritic heave evaluation in Ireland, soil stabilization – performance and testing