Alumni Get Connected
As a member of the SETU Carlow alumni community, there are many ways in which you can connect or reconnect with fellow alumni. We plan on building a strong and vibrant SETU Carlow alumni community at home and abroad. While you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates, we also use the professional networking platform LinkedIn to stay in touch with our alumni. Whether you are living in Ireland or abroad, we want to help, where possible, to reconnect you with old classmates and to make new connections with alumni who all have a shared experience at SETU Carlow.
LinkedIn is not the only option for getting connected or reconnecting but building your profile on LinkedIn is a good place to start. Here are some of the reasons why:
- SETU Carlow now has over 13,000 alumni listed on LinkedIn which has just reached 500 million members worldwide;
- 9 out of 10 company recruiters use LinkedIn;
- 75% of hiring managers look at LinkedIn profiles to learn about the candidate;
- There are more than 40 million students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn making them the fastest growing demographic on LinkedIn.
Check out the students guide to LinkedIn for more details on how to get started on LinkedIn.
Or, if you already have a profile and need some advice on how to improve your profile, check out LinkedIn’s 10 tips for the perfect LinkedIn profile.
Tips on how to build your graduate profile on social media
There are any number of online articles detailing the best way to build your ‘personal brand’ on social media. Having a strong and consistent professional online presence or personal brand is not only advantageous but an absolute necessity in some industry sectors when you are looking for a new job, a new client or getting your new business off the ground. To help get you started, here are a few tips compiled from a variety of online sources:
- Be yourself, be authentic and consistent - always use a good quality professionally appropriate photo and use industry specific keywords for your desired role in your profile;
- Communicate or engage regularly on a small number of social channels on topics which are relevant to you and your job or business;
- Create your own relevant content to showcase what you do best and think about your audience – who do you want to reach and how?
- Study the influencers or experts in your sector, watch listen and learn and see who you can responsibly connect with through your alumni network on LinkedIn to research potential jobs or companies.
If you have a job interview or that first sales pitch coming up, research your target audience online – find out what makes them tick and what matters to them by researching the various social media channels. Get more tips and advice from a variety of international experts on topics like building confidence, improving your presentation skills and building your professional profile online on Youtube, TED, Slideshare.