Lecturer in Product Design
designCORE, Dargan Centre, Carlow Campus
e: Hilary.email@example.com t: 059 9175358
- Research Interests
- Research Supervision
- Engagement and Collaboration
I am a qualified Industrial Designer with extensive experience in Design Education, research and industry consultation. I am a graduate of Carlow RTC, University of Teesside and hold an MA from University of Central England in Industrial Design focusing on Interface and User Centred Design.
Currently, I am responsible for the final year of the Product Design Innovation programme and a researcher in designCORE, the applied design research centre at IT Carlow. I also supervises in research based projects at postgraduate level.
I am passionate about user-centred design research and how it leads onto real design solutions. This philosophy has been embedded into the undergraduate programmes in Carlow and it intrinsic to the design process and methodologies used. Areas of expertise are in Product/Industrial Design, User Centred Design, Interface, Interaction and the Design Process.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
DEMPSEY, H. The reality of Embedding Design Iterations Design Journal. Issue 5 2017 p65 -69
GRINCELL, A, DEMPSEY, H, WHITE, P.J. 2017 Older Adults and Self Service Banking: A User Centred Study. Iterations Design Research and Practice Review 5. p. 52-61
Conference Proceedings and Papers
DEMPSEY, H. WHITE, P.J.2015. Universal Empathy, Proceedings from Universal Design in Education Conference, Centre of Excellence in Universal Design, Dublin Castle, Dublin.
SHORE, L. WHITE, P.J. DEPMPSEY, H. 2015.'Lifelogging in design research for older adults. ''Faultlines' Design Research Conference, Carlow
MURRAY, L, DEEVY, C, DEMPSEY, H. 2015 Creating Value through Out of Box Experience, ''Faultlines' Design Research Conference, Carlow Ireland
DEMPSEY, H, WHITE P.J., KENNEDY, C, For The Record Design Exhibition 100 Iconic Album Covers November 2015 Carlow Ireland
DEMPSEY, H, KENNEDY, C. Are you Sitting Comfortably Exhibition of Classic Chair Design 2014 Carlow Ireland
Current Research Students
- Sarah Jayne Burke - Development of a Design Led Patient Centred Avatar system for Holistic Irish Health Care Delivery – Co Supervisor – Ongoing
- Fintan Kennedy - A user centred approach to investigate means of increasing the sense of autonomy experienced by customers of Irish Rail – Co-Supervisor - Ongoing
Past Research Students
- Lee Gaynor - Design Thinking as an Industry Tool for Ireland – Lead Supervisor 2017
- Alan Grincell - An Investigation into Bank ATMs. A User Centred Study for the Development of Increased Security and Usability around User Behaviour – Lead Supervisor 2016
- Linda Shore – Developing the Concept of Shared Usability in Product Design for Older Adults – Co Supervisor – 2015
- Lorna Murray - Culture Driven User Behaviour for Application in User Centred Out of Box Experience – Co Supervisor- 2015
- Bernadette Douglas - Enhancing and Increasing the User Experience. A design Methodology that Assist is the Development of Appropriate User Centred Design within the new product/service development process – Lead Supervisor – 2013
- Darren Costello - A Study of Small and Medium Size Enterprises and how Innovative use of Rapid Proto-typing can Benefit SMEs Methodology in New Product Development and Up-Streaming – Lead Supervisor – 2012
Areas of Interest as a supervisor include
- User Centred Design
- Design for Older Adults
- Interaction, the Design Process
- Design in Micro Enterprises
- Interdisciplinary Research using Design
Engagement and Collaboration
- Carlow Design Network (CDN) – I have developed and manage a Linked in Alumni Group of IT Carlow Design graduates. It provides a community and information point for graduated to remain in touch with the programmes.
- Examiner – I have performed the duties of external examiner for level 9 MA in Design at University of Limerick. and have also acted as internal examiner for Level 9 MA Industrial Design (research) at IT Carlow
- Professional (additional roles) I am a project assessor for enterprise Ireland from a Design focus. And I am also a member of the IDI.
- Community Engagement – as part of the three pillars of designCORE (Society – Policy – Industry) community based initiatives are encouraged. I have curated local public design exhibitions.