Dr Jai Prakash Mehta
BSc, M.Sc. PhD
Faculty of Applied Science
Jai Prakash Mehta did his PhD in Computational and Molecular Biology from National Institute of Cellular Biotechnology, Dublin City University. His work was on finding clinically relevant subtypes and Biomarkers from Gene Expression Studies and used it to develop Machine Learning models to predict clinical outcomes. He carried on his research journey in CONWAY, University College Dublin and worked on many projects involving next generation sequencing and other high throughput techniques. Currently he is working as Assistant Lecturer in SETU Carlow campus and apart from teaching, is actively pursuing research activities in Genomics, Artificial Intelligence and Precision medicine.
- Research Interests
- Research Supervision
- Engagement and Collaboration
Dr Jai Prakash Mehta research interest are in areas of Computational Biology / Bioinformatics and in particular working with Genomics and developing Machine learning models on cancer progression, invasion, metastasis, and drug resistance.
DNA sequencing is getting cheaper and more affordable to the masses. And this means more applications in clinical decision making. The bottleneck is in correctly interpreting the DNA data. Often noise is high, and the signals are low. Dr Jai Prakash Mehta work focusses on identifying biomarkers and developing prognostic models which have clinical significance. His other area of interest is in Precision medicine; understanding how the Genome, Transcriptome and Proteome interact with each other, and methods to apply towards precision medicine.
Key Words: Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics, Transcriptomics, Proteomics, Next Generation Sequencing, Cancer Biology, Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, Precision Medicine.
- Jai Prakash Mehta: Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning for medical diagnosis and treatment. Big Data and Artificial Intelligence for Healthcare Applications (Big Data for Industry 4.0) CRC Press. ISBN: 9781003093770
- Jai Prakash Mehta: “Sequencing small RNA: Introduction and Data Analysis Fundamentals” RNA Mapping. Methods and Protocols. Humana Press. Methods Mol Biol. 2014;1182:93-103. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-1062-5_9.
- Jai Prakash Mehta: "Microarray analysis of mRNAs: Experimental design and data analysis fundamentals." Gene Expression Profiling, Methods and Protocols. Humana Press. ISBN: 978-1617792885.
- Jai Prakash Mehta and Sweta Rani: "Software and tools for microarray data analysis" Gene Expression Profiling, Methods and Protocols, Humana Press ISBN: 978-1617792885
- Jai Prakash Mehta, Lorraine O'Driscoll, Niall Barron, Martin Clynes and Padraig Doolan "Translating in vitro cell lines results into clinical practice" Methods of Cancer Diagnosis, therapy and prognosis Vol 7. Springer Publication. ISBN 978-90-481-3185-
Peer Review Publications
Anusha Pulavarty, Ankit Singh, David Smyth, Jai Prakash Mehta, Karina Horgan Thomais Kakouli-Duarte. Sustainable management of the potato cyst nematode, Globodera rostochiensis, with two microbial fermentation products.
PMID: 36275579 PMCID: PMC9580274 DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2022.987059
- Shannon R Nelson, Sandra Roche, Maura Cotter, Pablo Anton Garcia, Daniela Reitmeier, Elisabeth Zollbrecht, Fiona O'Neill, Martin Clynes , Padraig Doolan, Mehta JP, Niall Swan, AnneMarie Larkin, Naomi Walsh Genomic Profiling and Functional Analysis of let-7c miRNA-mRNA Interactions Identify SOX13 to Be Involved in Invasion and Progression of Pancreatic Cancer. J Oncol. 2020 Dec 24;2020:2951921.doi: 10.1155/2020/2951921
- Duffy DJ, Krstic A, Halasz M, Schwarzl T, Fey D, Iljin K, Mehta JP, Killick K, Whilde J, Turriziani B, Haapa-Paananen S, Fey V, Fischer M, Westermann F, Henrich KO, Bannert S, Higgins DG, Kolch W. Integrative omics reveals MYCN as a global suppressor of cellular signalling and enables network-based therapeutic target discovery in neuroblastoma. Oncotarget. 2015 Dec 11. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.6568.
- Ahmed AM, Good B, Hanrahan JP, McGettigan P, Browne J, Keane OM, Bahar B, Mehta JP, Markey B, Lohan A, Sweeney T. Variation in the Ovine Abomasal Lymph Node Transcriptome between Breeds Known to Differ in Resistance to the Gastrointestinal Nematode. PLoS One. 2015 May 15;10(5):e0124823. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0124823.
- Farrell J1, Kelly C, Rauch J, Kida K, García-Muñoz A, Monsefi N, Turriziani B, Doherty C, Mehta JP, Matallanas D, Simpson JC, Kolch W, von Kriegsheim A. HGF induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition by modulating the mammalian hippo/MST2 and ISG15 pathways. J Proteome Res. 2014 Jun 6;13(6):2874-86. doi: 10.1021/pr5000285.
Okumu LA, Forde N, Mamo S, McGettigan PA, Mehta JP, Roche JF, Lonergan P. Temporal regulation of fibroblast growth factors in the bovine endometrium and conceptus. Reproduction. 2014 Feb 19. 2014 Jun;147(6):825-34.
- Forde N, McGettigan PA, Mehta JP, O'Hara L, Mamo S, Bazer FW, Spencer TE, Lonergan P. Proteomic analysis of uterine fluid during the pre-implantation period of pregnancy in cattle. Reproduction. 2014 Apr 8;147(5):575-87. doi: 10.1530/REP-13-0010.
- Forde N, Mehta JP, McGettigan PA, Mamo S, Bazer FW, Spencer TE, Lonergan P. Alterations in expression of endometrial genes coding for proteins secreted into the uterine lumen during conceptus elongation in cattle. BMC Genomics. 2013 May 10;14:321. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-14-321.
- Forde N, Carter F, di Francesco S, Mehta JP, Garcia-Herreros M, Gad AY, Tesfaye D, Hoelker M, Schellander K, Lonergan P. Endometrial response of beef heifers on Day 7 following insemination to supra-physiological concentrations of progesterone associated with superovulation. Physiol Genomics. 2012 Nov 16;44(22):1107-15.
- Forde N, Mehta JP, Minten M, Crowe MA, Roche JF, Spencer TE, Lonergan P. Effects of Low Progesterone on the Endometrial Transcriptome in Cattle. Biol Reprod. 2012 Nov 29;87(5):124.
- Forde N, Duffy GB, McGettigan PA, Browne JA, Mehta JP, Kelly AK, Mansouri-Attia N, Sandra O, Loftus BJ, Crowe MA, Fair T, Roche JF, Lonergan P, Evans AC. Evidence for an early endometrial response to pregnancy in cattle: both dependent upon and independent of interferon tau. Physiol Genomics. 2012 Aug 17;44(16):799-810.
- Mamo S, Mehta JP, Forde N, McGettigan P, Lonergan P. Conceptus-Endometrium Crosstalk During Maternal Recognition of Pregnancy in Cattle. Biol Reprod. 2012 Jul 5;87(1):6, 1-9
- Walsh SW, Mehta JP, McGettigan PA, Browne JA, Forde N, Alibrahim R, Mulligan F, Loftus B, Crowe MA, Matthews D, Diskin MG, Mihm M, Evans AC Effect of the metabolic environment at key stages of follicle development in cattle: focus on steroid biosynthesis. Physiological Genomics. 2012 May 2;44(9):504-17
- O'Shea LC, Mehta JP, Lonergan P, Hensey C, Fair T. Developmental competence in oocytes and cumulus cells: candidate genes and networks. Systems Biology in Reproductive Medicine. 2012 Apr;58(2):88-101.
- Mamo S, Mehta JP, McGettigan P, Fair T, Spencer TE, Bazer FW, Lonergan P. RNA Sequencing Reveals Novel Gene Clusters in Bovine Conceptuses Associated with Maternal Recognition of Pregnancy and Implantation . Biology of Reproduction. 2011 Dec;85(6):1143-51.
- Clemente M, Lopez-Vidriero I, O'Gaora P, Mehta JP, Forde N, Gutierrez-Adan A, Lonergan P, Rizos D. Transcriptome Changes at the Initiation of Elongation in the Bovine Conceptus. Biol Reprod. 2011 Aug;85(2):285-95.
- Mamo S, Carter F, Lonergan P, Leal CL, Al Naib A, McGettigan P, Mehta JP, Evans AC, Fair T. Sequential analysis of global gene expression profiles in immature and in vitro matured bovine oocytes: potential molecular markers of oocyte maturation. BMC Genomics. 2011 Mar 16;12:151.
- Forde N, Carter F, Spencer TE, Bazer FW, Sandra O, Mansouri-Attia N, Okumu LA, McGettigan PA, Mehta JP, McBride R, O'Gaora P, Roche JF, Lonergan P. Conceptus-Induced Changes in the Endometrial Transcriptome: How Soon Does the Cow Know She Is Pregnant? Biology of Reproduction. 2011 Jul;85(1):144-56.
- Forde N, Beltman ME, Duffy GB, Duffy P, Mehta JP, O'Gaora P, Roche JF, Lonergan P, Crowe MA. Changes in the Endometrial Transcriptome During the Bovine Estrous Cycle: Effect of Low Circulating Progesterone and Consequences for Conceptus Elongation. Biology of Reproduction. 2011 Feb;84(2):266-78.
- F. Carter1, F. Rings, S. Mamo, Mehta JP, M. Hölker, A. Kuzmany, U. Besenfelder, V. Havlicek, D. Tesfaye, K. Schellander, P. Lonergan1. Effect of Elevated Circulating Progesterone Concentration on Bovine Blastocyst Development and Global Transcriptome Following Endoscopic Transfer of In Vitro Produced Embryos to the Bovine Oviduct. Biology of Reproduction. 2010 Nov;83(5):707-19.
- Rani S, Mehta JP, Doolan P, Barron N, Jeppesen PB, Clynes M, O’Driscoll L: Decreasing Txnip mRNA and protein levels in pancreatic MIN6 cells reduces reactive oxygen species and restores glucose regulated insulin secretion: Cell Physiol Biochem 2010;25(6):667-674.
- Doolan P, Clynes M, Kennedy S, Mehta JP, Germano S, Ehrhardt C, Crown J, O'Driscoll L. TMEM25, REPS2 and Meis 1: favourable prognostic and predictive biomarkers for breast cancer. Tumour Biology 2009;30:200–209.
- Kennedy S, Clynes M, Doolan P, Mehta JP, Rani S, Crown J, O'Driscoll L.SNIP/p140Cap mRNA expression is an unfavourable prognostic factor in breast cancer and is not expressed in normal breast tissue. British Journal of Cancer 2008 May 20;98(10):1641-5.
- O'Driscoll L, Kenny E, Mehta JP, Doolan P, Joyce H, Gammell P, Hill A, O'Daly B, O'Gorman D, Clynes M. Feasibility and relevance of global expression profiling of gene transcripts in serum from breast cancer patients using whole genome microarrays and quantitative rt-PCR. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2008 Mar-Apr;5(2):94-104.
- Mehta JP, O'Driscoll L, Barron N, Clynes M, Doolan P. “A microarray approach to translational medicine in breast cancer: how representative are cell line models of clinical conditions?” Anticancer Res. 2007 May-Jun;27(3A):1295-300
- Doolan P, Clynes M, Kennedy S, Mehta JP, Crown J, O'driscoll L. "Prevalence and prognostic and predictive relevance of PRAME in breast cancer." Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008 May;109(2):359-65.
- O'Driscoll L, McMorrow J, Doolan P, McKiernan E, Mehta JP, Ryan E, Gammell P, Joyce H, O'Donovan N, Walsh N, Clynes M. "Investigation of the molecular profile of basal cell carcinoma using whole genome microarrays." Mol Cancer. 2006 Dec 15;5:74.
- Martinez V, Kennedy S, Doolan P, Gammell P, Joyce H, Kenny E, Mehta JP, Ryan E, O'connor R, Crown J, Clynes M, O'driscoll L. Drug metabolism-related genes as potential biomarkers: analysis of expression in normal and tumour breast tissue. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008 Aug;110(3):521-30.
Conference Proceedings and Papers
- Jai Prakash Mehta. “Self-Organizing maps and its application to Microarray Technology”, International symposium on Applied Artificial Intelligence, 2003, Kolhapur, India.
- Sarah Cherian, Jai Prakash Mehta and P. B. Vidyasagar. “A back propagation Neural Network for eukaryotic Pol II promoter prediction, studies related to inter and intra species training”. International conference on Bioinformatics, 2002, Bangkok, Thailand.
Conference Posters and Presentations
- Jai Prakash Mehta, David J. Duffy, Thomas Schwarzl and Walter Kolch. Sequencing approach to identify miRNA targets for MYCN over-expression. System Medicine International Conference, 10th-13th September, Dublin, Ireland.
- Jai Prakash Mehta, Walter Kolch, Boris Kholodenko. Meta-analysis on IEG and DEG on cells stimulated with EGF. Welcome trust advance course: In-Silico systems Biology from 23-27 April 2012. Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK
- Jai Prakash Mehta, Lorraine O'Driscoll, Niall Barron, Martin Clynes and Padraig Doolan. "Identifying clusters of functionally related transcripts using large scale gene expression analysis." Critical Assessment of Microarray Data Analysis (CAMDA 2007), Valencia, Spain 2007.
- Jai Prakash Mehta, Padraig Doolan, Martin Clynes. “How Representative are Cell line models to clinical conditions? A microarray approach to translational medicine in breast cancer.” Global mRNA and Protein Expression Analysis 2006, Dublin, Ireland.
- Jai Prakash Mehta, Padraig Doolan, Niall Barron, Lorraine O’Driscoll and Martin Clynes. "Meta-analysis of estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer data obtained from publicly available large scale Gene Expression analysis" INCOB 2006, New Delhi.
- Jai Prakash Mehta, Martin Clynes, Dr. (Mrs.) Sarah Cherian. "Machine Learning for accurate cancer classification" Bioinformatics International Workshop and Symposium, 2005, Dublin, Ireland.
Investigating the role of microRNAs in regulating drug resistance in breast cancer
Investigating Cancer/Testis (C/T) genes as oncogenic biomarkers and potential therapeutic targets
Variations in miRNA: Mining Isomeric MiRNA (IsomiRs) from miRNA datasets
Identifying circulating DNA markers for early detection of cancer and monitoring cancer progression in patients diagnosed with cancer.
Developing Artificial Intelligence Models for accurate Prognosis in complex Diseases using Clinical and OMICS technologies.
Developing Transcriptomics signature to risk access triple negative breast cancer
Developing Precision Medicine models for Rare and Metastatic Cancers.
Investigating protein kinase inhibitors for Cancer Treatment
Investigating the COVID-19 evolution using Genomics
Engagement and Collaboration
Dr Jai Mehta secured Strategic Research Equipment Fund of €6,711.90 to establish Genomics data analysis capacity at SETU. This will act as driver for future Collaboration and engagements.
Currently Research collaborations are in place with EnviroCORE, NUIG, PMBRC and RVEEH