Dr Pedram Masjedi
BSc, MSc, PhD
Faculty of Engineering, Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering Department, Carlow Campus
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-5811-0710 LinkedIn ResearchGate
Dr Pedram Masjedi is an assistant lecturer in aerospace engineering at SETU Carlow and a member of The Centre of Research and Enterprise in Engineering (engCORE). He obtained his MSc and PhD in aerospace engineering from Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, in 2009 and 2015, respectively, where he worked on the aeroelastic modelling and simulation of advanced composite wings and helicopter rotor blades. Prior to his current role at SETU Carlow, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Limerick from 2018 to 2021 where he focused on the mathematical modelling and analysis of variable stiffness composite structures.
- Research Interests
- Research Supervision
- Engagement and Collaboration
Dr Masjedi’s research interest lies in the advanced mathematical modelling and analysis of composite structures. He has extensive experience and expert knowledge in developing advanced numerical simulation tools which are used in the aeroelastic analysis of wings and rotor blades. Dr Masjedi has a particular interest in developing analytical and computational solutions in the context of structural mechanics.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Vilar, M.M.S., Hadjiloizi, D.A., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2022. Stress recovery of laminated non-prismatic beams under layerwise traction and body forces. International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, 18(3), pp.719-741. DOI:doi.org/10.1007/s10999-022-09601-0
- Doeva, O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2022. Exact analytical solution for static deflection of Timoshenko composite beams on two-parameter elastic foundations. Thin-Walled Structures, 172, p.108812. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2021.108812
- Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2022. Analytical solution for arbitrary large deflection of geometrically exact beams using the homotopy analysis method. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 103, pp.516-542. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2021.10.037
- Vilar, M.M.S., Masjedi, P.K., Hadjiloizi, D.A. and Weaver, P.M., 2022. Analytical plane-stress recovery of non-prismatic beams under partial cross-sectional loads and surface forces. Engineering Structures, 252, p.113169. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2021.113169
- Doeva, O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2021. Static analysis of composite beams on variable stiffness elastic foundations by the Homotopy Analysis Method. Acta Mechanica, 232, pp.4169-4188. DOI: doi.org/10.1007/s00707-021-03043-z
- Doeva, O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2021. Closed form solutions for an anisotropic composite beam on a two-parameter elastic foundation. European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids, 88, p.104245. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechsol.2021.104245
- Masjedi, P.K., Doeva, O. and Weaver, P.M., 2021. Closed-form solutions for the coupled deflection of anisotropic Euler–Bernoulli composite beams with arbitrary boundary conditions. Thin-Walled Structures, 161, p.107479. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2021.107479
- Doeva, O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2021. A semi-analytical approach based on the variational iteration method for static analysis of composite beams. Composite Structures, 257, p.113110. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2020.113110
- Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2021. Variable stiffness composite beams subject to non-uniformly distributed loads: An analytical solution. Composite Structures, 256, p.112975. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2020.112975
- Doeva, O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2020. Static deflection of fully coupled composite Timoshenko beams: An exact analytical solution. European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids, 81, p.103975. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechsol.2020.103975
- Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2020. Analytical solution for the fully coupled static response of variable stiffness composite beams. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 81, pp.16-36. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2019.12.010
- Masjedi, P.K., Maheri, A. and Weaver, P.M., 2019. Large deflection of functionally graded porous beams based on a geometrically exact theory with a fully intrinsic formulation. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 76, pp.938-957. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2019.07.018
- Masjedi, P.K. and Maheri, A., 2017. Chebyshev collocation method for the free vibration analysis of geometrically exact beams with fully intrinsic formulation. European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids, 66, pp.329-340. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechsol.2017.07.014
- Masjedi, P.K. and Ovesy, H.R., 2015. Large deflection analysis of geometrically exact spatial beams under conservative and nonconservative loads using intrinsic equations. Acta Mechanica, 226(6), pp.1689-1706. DOI:doi.org/10.1007/s00707-014-1281-3
- Masjedi, P.K. and Ovesy, H.R., 2015. Chebyshev collocation method for static intrinsic equations of geometrically exact beams. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 54, pp.183-191. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2014.10.016
- Masjedi, P.K. and Ovesy, H.R., 2014. Aeroelastic instability of composite wings by the consideration of different structural constitutive assumptions. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 49, pp.303-321. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2014.04.018
- Ovesy, H.R. and Masjedi, P.K., 2014. Investigation of the effects of constitutive equations on the free vibration behavior of single-celled thin-walled composite beams. Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, 21(10), pp.836-852. DOI:doi.org/10.1080/15376494.2012.725266
Conference proceedings and papers
- Vilar, M.M.S., Masjedi, P.K., Hadjiloizi, D.A., Weaver, P.M., 2022. Stress Recovery of Symmetrically Tapered Composite Beams, 11th European Solid Mechanics Conference, ESMC 2022, Ireland, Galway.
- Doeva, O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P., 2021. Exact Solutions for the Linear Static Response of Composite Beams Under Arbitrary Loading and Boundary Conditions. In AIAA Scitech 2021 Forum (p. 1044).
- Doeva, O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2020. Exact solution for the deflection of composite beams under non-uniformly distributed loads. In AIAA Scitech 2020 Forum (p. 0245).
- Ojo, S.O., Masjedi, P.K. and Weaver, P.M., 2019. Isogeometric analysis for 3D stress predictions of composite beam structures. VII International Conference on Isogeometric Analysis, IGA 2019, Munich, Germany.
- Ovesy, H.R. and Masjedi, P.K., 2010. Free vibration of torsion-bending coupled thin-walled composite beams. In Proceedings of IV Conference on Computational Mechanics, Solids, Structures and Coupled Problems in Engineering, France, Paris.
- Masjedi, P. K., Ovesy H.R., 2009. Free Vibration of Aircraft Wings Modeled as Thin-Walled Composite Beam. The 8th Iranian Aerospace Society Conference, Maleke-Ashtar University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran.
Current Research Students
- Matheus M.S. Vilar (2019~), Stress Analysis of Non-Prismatic Beams, University of Limerick, (Advisor).
- Sajad Jangravi (2022~), Isogeometric Analysis of Composite Structures, University of Pavia, (Co-supervisor, with Prof. Alessandro Reali).
- Razie Mohamadi (2023~), An Investigation into Performance Characteristics of Piezoelectric Components under Shock Response Spectrum”, SETU Carlow, (Co-supervisor, with Dr Mark Wylie).
Past Research Students
- Olga Doeva (2018-2021), New Analytical and Semi-analytical Solutions for Static Deflection of Composite Beams, University of Limerick. (Advisor)
- Conor Kelly (2020), Fluid Structure Interaction of Slender Structures Using CFD and Geometrically Exact Beam Model, MEng, University of Limerick, (Co-Supervised with Dr. P.C. Griffin)
- Áine Bromell (2020), Validation of the Vortex Lattice Method for the Aerodynamic Analysis of Rotating Blades, MEng, University of Limerick, (Co-Supervised with Dr. P.C. Griffin)
- Robert Yorke (2020), Transient Analysis of Nonlinear Structures Using Geometrically Exact Beam Model, MSc, University of Limerick, (Co-Supervised with Prof. P. M. Weaver)
- Bharadwaj Kasi (2020), Cross-Sectional Stiffness Analysis of Composite Beams with Arbitrary Cross-Sections, MSc, University of Limerick, (Co-Supervised with Prof. P. M. Weaver)
- Niall Whelan (2021), Application of Vortex Lattice Method (VLM) for Aerodynamic Analysis of Rotating Blades, MEng, University of Limerick, (Co-Supervised with Dr. P.C. Griffin)
Area of interest as a supervisor include
- Fluid-Structure-Interaction (FSI)
- Composite Structures
- Wind/Tidal Turbines
Engagement and Collaboration
Dr Masjedi has contributed to industrial innovations as a technical advisor in the context of aeroelastic analysis and is currently collaborating with companies such as Gavin & Doherty Geosolutions (GDG) and ÉireComposites in the context of renewable energies and composites.
Dr Masjedi has a broad network of national and international research collaborators from Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, University of Limerick, University of Pavia (Italy), University of Bristol (UK), and University of Aberdeen (UK).
Dr Masjedi has also served as a technical reviewer for scientific journals in the field of solid mechanics and aerospace engineering such as European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Thin-Walled Structures, AIAA Journal, and Journal of Aerospace Engineering (ASCE).