Lecturer in Art & Design
School of Art and Design, Wexford Campus
e: Brian.Garvey@itcarlow.ie t: 053 9185800
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-7542-1403
- Research Interests
- Publications and Exhibitions
- Research Supervision
- Engagement and Collaboration
Since graduating from the National College of Art and Design, Brian Garvey has exhibited both nationally and internationally. Following his MA research degree in Philosophy he has continued to lecture in this subject and in Art, Design, Cultural Studies and Art History in the Institute of Technology Carlow, Wexford Campus School of Art and Design, as well as the National College of Art and Design and University College Dublin. In more recent years he has concentrated particularly on researching in the fields of Contemporary Philosophy and the Visual Arts. He has a special interest in the representation of technology, its connection with and difference from memory and the binding of these together as explored through painting, photography and film.
Publications & Exhibitions
- 2007 Freedom and Nature, The Paul Kane Gallery, Dublin
- 2004 Brian Garvey: Landscapes, The Catherine Hammond Gallery, Co. Cork
- 2000 First Foot, Paul Kane Gallery, Dublin.
- 2018 (forthcoming) 188th RHA Annual Exhibition, The Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin.
- 2010 Eigse Carlow Arts Festival: Retrospective, Visual Arts Centre, Carlow.
- 2008 Selected Artists from Dublin, The Eagle Farrington Gallery, London.
- 2001/06 Summer Group Exhibition The Paul Kane Gallery, Dublin.
- 2004-06 RHA Annual Exhibition, The Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin.
- 2001 Irish Art, Showcase, Oriel Gallery Wales.
- 2000 Invited Artist, Eigse Carlow Arts Festival, Carlow.
Brian Garvey, “Visualising the Verbal,” in Anthony Lyttle, Dublin, The Cross Gallery, (2012) pp. 4-7.