Women in Technology Society Coffee Morning
The Department of Computing in IT Carlow recently held a coffee morning as part of its Women in Technology Society. All female students and lecturers from IT Carlow’s Computing programmes were invited and there was a great turnout on the day.
Over 30 female students and lecturers gathered at this informal event and had the opportunity to introduce themselves, meet new people, network over tea and coffee and share ideas for future events in the Women in Technology Society here in IT Carlow.
Items discussed informally on the day included:
- How to improve technology culture for women
- To spread awareness and information on the area
- Offering advice for women to proactively seek out opportunities and “put your hand up”
- The importance of diversity and equality in any setting, including 3rd level education
- The need for women in technology to act as role models for other women
One key takeaway from the event was that there exists real need to invest time in fostering a supportive community and network amongst women in technology here in IT Carlow.
A student led committee is to be formed and anyone looking to get involved and actively participate in this society can contact Fiona Redmond (Fiona.Redmond@itcarlow.ie), lecturer in Computing, who will coordinate and support the students in their endeavours. Thanks goes to Fiona Redmond, Aine Byrne and Yvonne Kavanagh for organising this event. We are already looking forward to a follow-up event!