Bachelor of Business in Business SE416
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
This course equips students with the applied skills and knowledge needed to pursue a career in a variety of areas such as commercial activity, entrepreneurship, public service, government and the not-for-profit sector. The course is structured around four key pillars – management, finance/economics, business technology and marketing.
In the first two years you will explore the fundamentals of business, with some electives in Year 2. After two years, students decide on their chosen area of specialism in either Business or Business with Digital Marketing. Depending on your choice and your areas of interest there are also electives are available in Commercial Law, Fund Accounting and Economics.
In Year 3, you will also undertake a professional work placement where you will put your learning into practice and gain practical experience in a field of interest to you.
The Business stream is focused around four key pillars - management, finance/economics, business technology and marketing. Specially focused modules, such as fund accounting, are targeted at students interested in a career in financial services, while practical modules in digital applications and computerised accounting enhance employability skills. Students also have opportunities to develop their own business ideas through the development of business plans and through the entrepreneurship module.
With the Digital Marketing specialism, you will have the opportunity to work with students and staff from a design background to find creative solutions to marketing issues. You will study digital media design and have the opportunity to work in a digital marketing organisation as part of your final year.
Is this course for you?
If you are interested in learning how to make decisions in an evolving global digital business environment, this course will interest you.
- Students of either option undertake a 12 – 20 week professional work placement in Year 3. This placement requires students to undertake a practical project in either business or digital marketing with a client organisation producing either digital marketing plans or a marketing and business plan to a professional standard for that business.
- Choice of streams after year 2 that allows you to graduate with a degree in Business or a degree in Business with Digital Marketing.
- Business project in year 4 integrates professional work placement experience with skills developed throughout the course.
- An emphasis on the application of technical skills and design acumen to formulate complex business solutions.
- Specialist electives in Fund Accounting, Digital Media Design and European Economics.
- International focus throughout the course.
- Exit Awards: Higher Certificate in Business (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates are eligible to enter Year 4 of the Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Business at Wexford or apply for a Level 8 Business Degree Programme at another third-level institution. Many of our graduates go on to pursue a career in finance/accountancy and complete the professional Accountancy/Banking exams.
Graduates of BBS Business and BBS Business with Digital Marketing degrees have a diverse selection of postgraduate studies to explore and in which to specialise.
What exemptions will I receive?-
Higher Certificate in Business (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2; Bachelor of Business, Business or Business with Digital Marketing (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
A business degree prepares you for a broad range of industries and career opportunities. The flexibility of the degree allows for a diverse array of employment prospects, giving you
skills in critical thinking, communication, leadership, problem-solving, and understanding complex systems, which are applicable in all sectors. Graduates have the necessary knowledge and skills to work in organisations requiring specialised digital marketing skills.
Below are some industries and jobs that a business graduates find employment:
- Finance, including financial services, insurance and investment fund organisations.
- Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations
- Public sector and Non-Profit Organisations
- Entrepreneurship and Start-ups
- Investment Funds
- Retail and Sales
- Human Resource Management
- Education and Teaching
- Supply Chain and Logistics
- Tourism and Hospitality
In addition, past graduates from the Business with Digital Marketing specialism have also worked in professional areas such as Digital Marketing, SEO, Social Media, Content Strategy, Product Management, Web Design/Development, Data Analysis UX/UI Design, Brand Strategy, Influencer Marketing and CRM.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Academic and Professional Skills
Statistics and Forecasting
Introduction to Management
Customer Service in Practice
Managing an Enterprise
Fundamentals of Financial Accounting
Introduction to Marketing
Human Resource Management Skills
Business Research Methods
Group Elective 3
Digital Media Design - (For Digital Marketing Stream-Business)
Placement Preparation and Practice
For Further Information ContactDr Veronica Kelly, PhD
Owen Brady, MBA