Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Sports Management & Coaching (Gaelic Games) SE907
- NFQ Level 8
- SE907 Gaelic Games | SE908 Rugby | SE909 Football
- Application Form
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Sports management and coaching is an area of study that combines the techniques of sports management and coaching with the principles of business and enterprise.
The field of sports management and coaching is changing rapidly. Professional sporting bodies require management and coaching staff to have an excellent understanding of their chosen sport, as well as strong business skills.
On completion of the course, students will have a detailed understanding of:
- Player development
- Coach education
- Strength and conditioning
- Sport finance
- Sport media and marketing
Check out our promotional video clip on youtube
Students will also have the opportunity to take elective modules in key areas such as:
- Performance Analysis
- Sport Psychology
- Adapted Physical Activity.
This is a four-year course and has three key content areas delivered in each year of the course:
- Coaching and Player Development
- Business and Management of Sport
- Sports Science
Classes are delivered in a range of settings including pitch, classroom and gym.
Is this course for you?
This course will be of interest to those who are passionate about playing or coaching sport. It will also be of interest to someone who would like a career in the business and administration of sport. It is open to students of all abilities and not just those in an elite category.
- This is the only course of its kind in Ireland and is delivered in association with the FAI, Leinster GAA and Leinster Rugby.
- Experienced coaches and coach educators from each of the sporting bodies deliver the player development and coach education modules of the course.
- Competitive SETU Carlow team environment in GAA, Rugby and Football with recent achievements as follows: Fitzgibbon Cup and Sigerson Cup Finalists 19/20; Women’s Soccer Intervarsity Kelly Cup and Premier League winners 2018; Men’s Soccer CFAI Futsal Finalists 2018 and CFAI Cup Winners 2012-2017 (6 in-a-row); IRFU Student Sport Ireland Brendan Johnston Cup Finalists 2020 and league winners in 19/20.
- Premium sporting facilities including elite sports gym, general student gym, GAA and rugby pitches with full changing facilities and viewing stands.
- Our South Sports Campus includes six full-size playing pitches, comprising one all-weather 4G GAA pitch, one grass GAA pitch, two grass football pitches and two grass rugby pitches.
- Exit Awards: Higher Certificate in Sport Coaching and Business Management (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2 and Bachelor of Arts (NFQ Level 7) Sport Coaching and Business Management (GAA, Football, Rugby) after Year 3.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of this course may be eligble to progress to masters level in the areas of performance analysis, strength and conditioning and business.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates will be qualified to work in a variety of sports-related careers including: sports development officers; sports management; club development; club administration; sport coaching and fitness instruction, governing body management and administration.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 2H5 & 4O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Garda vetting required
- Once you apply to this course through the CAO you will be sent an information form from the University, which you will need to complete and return.
- You will then be invited to attend a trial/skills followed by an interview.
Information forms are available to download from the following links:
Introduction to Coaching Pedagogy
Applied Anatomy and Sport Physiology 1
Professional Writing and Research in the Digital Age
Player Development 1 - Rugby
Player Development 1 - GAA
Player Development 1 - Football
Introduction to Accounting for Sport
Foundations of Sport Management
Applied Anatomy and Sport Physiology 2
Player Development 2 - Rugby
Coach Education 1 - GAA
Coach Education 1 - Football
Player Development 2 - GAA
Coach Education 1 - Rugby
Player Development 2 - Football
Injury Prevention and Recovery Strategies in Sport
Accounting for Sport
Coach Education 2 - GAA
Coach Education 2 - Football
Coach Education 2 Theory - Rugby
Player Development 3 - GAA
Player Development 3 - Rugby
Player Development 3 - Football
Strength and Conditioning
Finance for Sport 1
Player Development 4 - Rugby
Coach Education 3 Practical - Rugby
GAA Club Development
Coach Education 3 - Football
Player Development 4 - GAA
Player Development 4 - Football
Fitness Testing and Load Monitoring in Sport
Finance for Sport 2
Sponsorship in Sport
People Management Skills (Sports)
Player Development 5 - Football
Coach Education 4 - Rugby
Player Development 5 - GAA
Player Development 5 - Rugby
Community Sport and Social Inclusion
Sports Performance Analysis
Coach Education 3 - GAA
Coach Education 4 - Football
Sports Internship Project
Study Semester Abroad
Operations Management (Sport)
Introduction to Data Analysis for Sport
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Sport
Strategy, Governance and Leadership
Dissertation (part 1)
Coach Education 4 - Football
Adapted Physical Activity
Sports Performance Analysis 1
Sport and Exercise Psychology 1
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Denis O Brien
BA (Hons), MBA, ACMA