Bachelor of Arts Sport Coaching & Business Management (Rugby) CW817
- NFQ Level 7
- Application Form
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Sports bodies require their management and coaching staff to have a well-rounded understanding
and knowledge about business and management, as well as their chosen sport. A Sport Coaching and Business Management (Rugby) degree explores the cross-functional nature of business and sport and equips students with the necessary skills to attain careers in: sports management, club development, games development and club administration.
Applicants can apply for both the BA (Honours) Sport Management and Coaching (CW858 - NFQ Level 8) and the BA Sports Coaching and Business Management (Rugby) (CW817 - NFQ Level 7) on the CAO application system. Both courses run concurrently for the first three years.
The course runs over a three-year period and contains modules in the following key areas:
- Sports Coaching and Player Development
- Sports Science
- Business and Management of Sport.
Is this course for you?
This course is suitable for anyone who has an interest in rugby, both playing and coaching, or in the business and administration side of sport. It is open to students of all playing and coaching abilities - not just elite athletes and coaches.
- This course is unique to Ireland as it is delivered in association with the Leinster Rugby and the IRFU and is only available at IT Carlow.
- Institute of Technology Carlow rugby teams compete at the top level of college rugby in Ireland. Our men’s team reached the Brendan Johnston Cup Final in the 2019/20 season and won the league.
- Experienced coaches and coach educators from Leinster Rugby deliver the player development and coach education modules of the course with the opportunity to attain IRFU coaching qualifications and practical experience in each of the three years of the course.
- Premium sporting facilities including our new South Sports Campus with six new pitches, elite sports gym, general student gym, rugby pitch with full changing facilities and viewing stands.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of this course may be eligible to progress to Year 4 of the BA (Honours) Sports Management and Coaching (CW858) or Year 4 of the BA (Honours) Management Practice (CW868).
Previous graduates have gone on to complete masters programmes in the areas of Strength and Conditioning, Performance Analysis, Business and Marketing.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates will be qualified to work in a variety of sport-related areas including: rugby development
officers; community rugby officers; coaches; video analysts; sports management; club development and/
or administration: sports coaching & fitness instruction.
Graduates have also taken up various roles in business, management and marketing.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Once you apply to this course through the CAO you will be sent an information form from the Institute, which you will need to complete and return.
- You will then be invited to attend a trial/skills test followed by an interview.
- Garda vetting required.
Foundations of Sport Mgmt
Effective Writing and Research
App Anatomy & Sport Physiology
Information Technology 1
Player Development 1 - Rugby
Coach Education 1 - Rugby
Finance for Sport 1
Functional Screening & Fitness Testing
Strength & Conditioning
Player Development 2 - Rugby
Coach Education 2 - Rugby
Finance for Sport 2
People Management Skills (Sports)
Sponsorship and Media Management in Sport
Legal Studies for Sport
Applied Programme Planning
Group Elective 1
Player Development 3 - Rugby
Group Elective 2
Coach Education 3 - Rugby
Group Elective 3
Community Sport and Social Inclusion
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
BA (Hons), MBA, ACMA.