Bachelor of Arts Sport Coaching & Business Management (GAA) CW807
- NFQ Level 7
- Application Form
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Sports bodies require their management and coaching staff to have a well-rounded understanding and knowledge of business and management, as well as their chosen sport. A Sport Coaching and Business Management (GAA) degree explores the cross-functional nature of business and sport and equips students with the necessary skills to attain careers in: sports management; club development; games development and club administration.
Applicants can apply for both the BA (Honours) Sport Management and Coaching (CW858 - NFQ Level 8) or Sports Coaching and Business Management (GAA), (CW807 - NFQ Level 7) on the CAO application. Both courses run concurrently for the first three years.
The course runs over a three-year period and contains modules in the following key areas:
- Sports Coaching and Player Development
- Sports Science
- Business and Management of Sport.
Is this course for you?
This course is suitable for anyone who has an interest in sports, both playing and coaching, or in the business and administration side of sport. It is open to students of all playing and coaching abilities - not just elite athletes and coaches.
- This course is unique in Ireland as it is delivered in association with the GAA and is only available in IT Carlow.
- Institute of Technology Carlow GAA teams compete in the Sigerson Cup, Fitzgibbon Cup, Purcell Cup & Giles Cup competitions. Last year our senior hurlers reached the Fitzgibbon Cup final while our senior footballers also reached the Sigerson Cup final. Our Giles Cup team lost out in the Division 2 league semi final. Our camogie team won the Division 2 league final.
- Experienced coaches and coach educators from the GAA deliver the player development and coach education modules of the course with the opportunity to attain GAA coaching qualifications and practical experience in each of the three years of the course.
- Premium sporting facilities including our new South Sports Campus with new 4G astroturf and grass pitch, elite sports gym, general student gym, GAA pitch with full changing facilities and viewing stands.
- Exit Award: Higher Certificate (NFQ Level 6) in Arts in Sports Coaching and Business Management (GAA).
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of this course may be eligible to progress to Year 4 of the BA (Honours) Sport Management and Coaching (CW858) or Year 4 of the BA (Honours) Management Practice (CW868).
Previous graduates have gone on to complete masters programmes in the areas of Strength and Conditioning, Performance Analysis, Business and Marketing.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates will be qualified to work in a variety of sport-related careers, including: sport development officers; GAA development officers; video analysts; sports management; club development and/or administration; sport coaching and fitness instruction.
Graduates have also taken up various roles in business and marketing.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Once you apply to this course through the CAO you will be sent an information form from the Institute, which you will need to complete and return.
- You will then be invited to attend an interview.
- Garda vetting required.
Foundations of Sport Mgmt
Effective Writing and Research
App Anatomy & Sport Physiology
Information Technology 1
Player Development 1 - GAA
Coach Education 1 - GAA
Finance for Sport 1
Functional Screening & Fitness Testing
Strength & Conditioning
Player Development 2 - GAA
Coach Education 2 - GAA
GAA Club Development - GAA
Finance for Sport 2
People Management Skills (Sports)
Sponsorship and Media Management in Sport
Legal Studies for Sport
Applied Programme Planning
Group Elective 1
Coach Education 3 - GAA
Group Elective 2
Player Development 3 - GAA
Group Elective 3
Community Sport and Social Inclusion
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
BSc (Hons), MSc, MISCP