Bachelor of Arts in Sport Coaching and Business Management (Gaelic Games) SE929
- NFQ Level 7
- Application Form
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Sports bodies require their management and coaching staff to have a well-rounded understanding and knowledge of business and management, as well as their chosen sport. A Sport Coaching and Business Management (GAA) degree explores the cross-functional nature of business and sport and equips students with the necessary skills to attain careers in: sports management; club development; games development and club administration.
The course runs over a three-year period and contains modules in the following key areas:
- Sports Coaching and Player Development
- Sports Science
- Business and Management of Sport.
Is this course for you?
This course is suitable for anyone who has an interest in sports, both playing and coaching, or in the business and administration side of sport. It is open to students of all playing and coaching abilities - not just elite athletes and coaches.
This course is unique in Ireland as it is delivered in association with the GAA and is only available in SETU Carlow.SETU Carlow GAA teams compete in the Sigerson Cup, Fitzgibbon Cup, Purcell Cup & Lynch Cup competitions. Also, we have a fresher football and hurling team and a second junior adult hurling and football team participating in third-level higher education leagues and championships.
In 2021 our senior hurlers reached the Fitzgibbon Cup semi-final and lost out to eventual winners the University of Limerick after extra time. Our senior footballers reached the preliminary quarter-final of the Sigerson Cup and lost out by a point to Queens University. Our lynch Cup team lost out in the preliminary quarter-final to St Mary's Belfast. Our camogie team reached the Purcell cup semi-final and lost out to NUI Galway after extra time.
- This course is unique in Ireland as it is delivered in association with the GAA and is only available in SETU Carlow.
- Experienced coaches and coach educators from the GAA deliver the player development and coach education modules of the course with the opportunity to attain GAA coaching qualifications and practical experience in each of the three years of the course.
- Premium sporting facilities including our new South Sports Campus with new 4G astroturf and grass pitch, elite sports gym, general student gym, GAA pitch with full changing facilities and viewing stands.
- Exit Award: Higher Certificate (NFQ Level 6) in Arts in Sports Coaching and Business Management (GAA) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of this course may be eligible to progress to Year 4 of the BA (Honours) Sport Management and Coaching or Year 4 of the BA (Honours) Management Practice.
Previous graduates have gone on to complete masters programmes in the areas of strength and conditioning, performance analysis, business and marketing.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates will be qualified to work in a variety of sport-related careers, including: sport development officers; GAA development officers; video analysts; sports management; club development and/or administration; sport coaching and fitness instruction.
Graduates have also taken up various roles in business and marketing.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Garda vetting required
- Once you apply to this course through the CAO you will be sent an information form from the Institute, which you will need to complete and return.
- You will then be invited to attend an interview.
Introduction to Coaching Pedagogy
Player Development 1 - GAA
Applied Anatomy and Sport Physiology 1
Professional Writing and Research in the Digital Age
Introduction to Accounting for Sport
Coach Education 1 - GAA
Player Development 2 - GAA
Foundations of Sport Management
Applied Anatomy and Sport Physiology 2
Injury Prevention and Recovery Strategies in Sport
Accounting for Sport
Coach Education 2 - GAA
Player Development 3 - GAA
Strength and Conditioning
Finance for Sport 1
GAA Club Development
Player Development 4 - GAA
Fitness Testing and Load Monitoring in Sport
Finance for Sport 2
Sponsorship in Sport
People Management Skills (Sports)
Player Development 5 - GAA
Community Sport and Social Inclusion
Sports Performance Analysis
Coach Education 3 - GAA
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director