NEW Bachelor of Engineering in Robotics and Automated Systems SE728
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Robotics and Automated systems continue to grow in importance within manufacturing and industrial production systems as companies leverage their ability to advance manufacturing and increase production. Robots have an impressive range of applications e.g. packaging, welding, painting, machining, inspecting parts to name a few and find application in almost every industry such as pharmaceutical, chemical, automotive, healthcare, agricultural etc.
Robotics and Automated systems is a multidisciplinary area that combines electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer science. In particular, it includes embedded programming, control systems, automated decision making, and power electronics. Due to the level of technicality involved in this specialized and interdisciplinary field, there is a shortage of qualified graduates and personnel in the industry.
The programme is based on three pillars: electronics, mechanics and computing, enabling candidates to acquire knowledge, skill and expertise to design, develop, commission and maintain robotics and automated systems in a variety of environments and applications for relevant industries. This programme is designed to produce an adaptable graduate, capable of working across present and future industries where robotic and automated systems are employed.
- This course is designed to have a good balance between theory, practical laboratory classes & hands-on project-based learning exercises.
- Access to Robotics and Automated Systems laboratory equipment and resources on campus as well as computer software, tools & simulation labs
- Work placement and project collaboration opportunities exist with leading Robotics and Automation companies which are based here in Ireland.
- Exit Awards: Higher Certificate in Robotics and Automated Systems (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates are elligble to progress to Robotics and Automated Systems (NFQ Level 7) Year 4.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Robotics and Automated systems draws on expertise of many engineering disciplines and elements of mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, electronic, telecoms, networking, and industrial engineering. Robotics and Automated Systems Engineers could be suitable for the following job titles:
- Robotics Engineers
- Robotics Test Engineers
- Automation System Engineers
- Senior Automation Engineer
- Senior Controls Engineer
- Senior C++ Engineer – R&D role
- Process Excellence Analyst
- Controls Team Lead
- Robotics Process Automation (RPA) Consultant
- Maintenance Test Engineer
- Field Service Engineer
- Solutions Architect Consultant (Very senior role)
- Engineering Project Manager.
The above positions are suitable for the following areas: automotive, aerospace, nuclear, mining, textile, computer industries, military, space, educational, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and high volume manufacturing.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish at O6/H7
- Mathematics at O6/H7
Robotics Programming 1
Engineering Mathematics 1
Electrical and Electronic Fundamentals
Computer Aided Drafting
Engineering Mathematics 2
Electrical and Electronic Circuits
Engineering Mathematics 3
Robotics Programming 2
Industrial Automation and Robotics
Drives and Actuators
Engineering Mathematics 4
Embedded Systems 1
Introduction to Systems and Control
Robotics Programming 3
Engineering Mathematics 5
Industrial Compliance, Safety and Law
Robotic Operating Systems
Control and Human Interfacing
Computer Networks 1
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Dr Dorel Picovici
BEng (Hons), MEng, PhD