Bachelor of Science Information Technology Management CW217
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
The efficient management of Information Technology is central to all aspects of any organisation. It involves the coordination of complex computer systems in organisations, including the selection, installation and maintenance of all computing technologies.
This course provides a unique blend of IT and business subjects that are an essential element in the role of a modern IT manager. It follows a ‘learning by doing’ model where students learn through active participation and hands-on practical activity. Year 1 also features continuous assessments, with no final year exam, enabling students to monitor progress throughout the year.
On completion of the course, students will have a detailed understanding of
- Database management
- Business management
- Web application development
- Information systems
- Network systems administration
- Operating system shells and shell scripts.
- Work placements are offered as part of all undergraduate courses with leading national and international companies. Previous placements have been made with Adidas (Germany), Ericsson, Kerry Food, MSD, Intel, Glanbia and Abbott Ireland.
- Institute of Technology Carlow’s final year industry showcase is attended by leading IT employers.
- Active participation by students in national and international competitions.
- Institute of Technology Carlow maintains close relations nationally and internationally with leading industry players. For example, TATA Consultancy Services, a leading global Information Technology consultancy, holds a ‘Dragon’s Den’ style competition with Institute of Technology Carlow where student’s final year projects compete for a €1,500 cash prize (funded by TCS).
Exit award: Higher Certificate in Science in Computing (with options in Computer Applications and Programming) (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates are eligible to proceed to the BSc (Honours) in IT Management (CW248) at Institute of Technology Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Roles available to graduates include systems administrator for Windows and Linux operating systems, database design and management, website design and development, design and administration of networked systems including design and configuration of services for LANs (Local Area Networks) and WANs (Wide Area Networks). Graduates are qualified to work across the IT spectrum in any industry sector.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Applications & Interpersonal Communications
Web Programming and Databases
Secure Systems Administration
Project (Systems Mgmt)
Group Elective 2
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Aidan McManus, BSc (Hons)