Bachelor of Science Information Technology Management CW217
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
IT (Information Technology) Management involves the coordination of complex computer systems in organisations, including the selection, installation and maintenance of all computing technologies.
This is a critical role as the efficient management of IT is vitally important for all aspects of a business, from customer service to finance, sales, manufacturing, storage and delivery.
This three-year programme provides a unique blend of IT and business subjects that are an essential element in the role of a modern IT manager. The programme follows a ‘learning by doing’ model where students learn through active participation. Year 1 also features continuous assessments, with no final year exam, enabling students to monitor progress throughout the year.
On completion of the programme, students will have a detailed understanding of:
- Network systems administration
- Operating system shells and shell scripts
- Database management
- Business management
- Web application development
- Information Systems
Students of this programme share the first year with students of the BSc in Software Development and the Higher Certificate in Computing. This structure enables students more flexibility and choice on completion of first year. This programme also offers an early exit after Year 2 with the award of Higher Certificate in Computing (NFQ 6).
- Work placements are offered as part of all undergraduate programmes with leading national and international companies. Previous placements have been made with Adidas (Germany), Ericsson, Kerry Food, MSD, Intel, Glanbia and Abbott Ireland.
- IT Carlow’s final year industry showcase is attended by leading IT employers.
- Active participation by students in national and international competitions.
- IT Carlow maintains close relations nationally and internationally with leading industry players. For example, TATA Consultancy Services, a leading global Information Technology consultancy, holds a ‘Dragon’s Den’ style competition with IT Carlow where students’ final year projects compete for a €1,500 cash prize (funded by TCS).
- Exit Award: Higher Certificate in Science in Computing (with options in Computer Applications and Programming )(NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of this programme are eligible to proceed to the BSc (Honours) in IT Management (CW248) at IT Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates of this programme will be qualified to work across the IT spectrum in any industry sector. Types of roles available to graduates include systems administrator for Windows and Linux operating systems, database design and management, website design and development, design and administration of networked systems including design and configuration of services for LANs (Local Area networks) and WANs (Wide Area Networks). Graduates have taken up such roles as IT Analyst at HP; Graduate SAP Developer at Glanbia; Technical Support Agent at Access Control Technology, IT Engineer at Tierney’s IT Solutions.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 5 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- English or Irish at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- Mathematics at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
Applications & Interpersonal Communications
Web Programming and Databases
Secure Systems Administration
Project (Systems Mgmt)
Group Elective 2
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Aidan McManus, BSc