Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computer Games Development SE607
- NFQ Level 8
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Games Development is one of the most exciting and dynamic areas of software development that one can work in. Graduates of this course are sought after by both multinational and indigenous industry leaders such as Microsoft, Black Shamrock, Glu Mobile and Dice Studios.
The games industry continues to grow rapidly and Ireland is gaining international recognition as a centre of excellence due to the calibre of graduates in this field.
This course provides students with the skills they need to become professional games developers. Students will acquire skills in software design and programming, game design, graphics programming, and artificial intelligence. On completion, students will have produced several complete game concepts in a playable form.
Collaboration is actively encouraged throughout this course. Collaboration, beginning in first year, with students from Interactive Digital Art and Design will result in the creation of numerous portfolio titles, game projects and technical demonstrations.
Is this course for you?
Have you a deep interest in how things work? Have you the persistence to see a task through to completion? Are you creative and proud of your work, willing to go the extra mile to get it just right? Have you a passion for learning new things? You are not just a consumer of content but also a creator.
- An active learning environment that includes dedicated game development studios.
- Games Development students have competed successfully in national and international digital game events including:
- 2023 Games Fleadh Winners of six awards including Best Game built using Software libraries
- 2022 Games Fleadh: Robocode winners and winner of 3 special prizes including Best in Game Play.
- 2019 Games Fleadh: Game Studio Ireland Challenge.
- College Cup Champions and winners of four other awards.
- GameCraft 2019: Recipient of first, second and third prize.
- SETU Carlow’s final year project showcase is attended by leading employers in the games and IT industries.
- The department maintains an international perspective through widespread collaboration with other computing departments and higher education providers with active research links with Netherlands, France, China, Finland, Norway, Hungary and UK.
- Graduates of this course are sought after by employers and Institute of Technology Carlow alumni are working for prominent companies such as Frostbite Studios, Aeria Games, Glu Mobile, Havok, Demonware, Engage XR and Microsoft.
- Exit Award: Higher Certificate in Computer Games Design and Programming (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2 and Bachelor of Science in Computer Games Programming (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates have the option to progress to postgraduate studies at either masters or doctoral level within the gameCORE Research Centre at SETU Carlow or elsewhere. Graduates will also be eligible to undertake the MSc in Data Science or MSc in IT Management at SETU Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
- Specialist software engineering role in games (Rendering / AI /Gameplay / UI / Networking).
- Engine developer (Unity3D / Unreal / Frostbite).
- Specialist software engineer in performance-related solutions to problems in all types of industry (Financial trading / Autonomous driving / Data analytics etc.).
- Mobile app developer.
- General software engineer in the commercial computing sector.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 2H5 & 4O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Human Computer Interaction
Introduction to 2D Digital Art
Mathematics for Graphics
Introduction to Programming
Introduction to Data Analytics
Concept Art for Games
Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
Object Oriented Programming
Computer Architecture for Game Devices
Gameplay Programming I
Agile Software Development
User Interface Programming
2D Game Programming
3D Gameplay Programming
Software Engineering for Games
Gameplay Programming for Mobile Devices
Data Structures and AI Algorithms
Web Development and Databases
Artificial Intelligence for Games
Games Engineering II
Fundamentals of Game Networking
Real World Modelling and Simulation
Project (part 1)
Project (part 2)
Online Gaming Technologies
Group Elective 1
Machine Learning for Games
Linux Infrastructure Engineering
UI/UX Design and Development
Artificial Intelligence in the Wild
Programming Language Design
Bias in Computational Systems
Cloud Data Centers
Case Studies in Data Science
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
BSc (Hons), MSc