Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Games Development CW208
- NFQ Level 8
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Games Development is one of the most exciting and dynamic areas of software development that one can work in. Graduates of this course are sought after by both multinational and indigenous industry leaders such as Microsoft, Demonware, Aeria Games and Swrve.
The games industry continues to grow rapidly and Ireland is gaining international recognition as a centre of excellence due to the calibre of graduates in this field.
This course provides students with the skills they need to become professional games developers. Students will acquire skills in software design and programming, game design, graphics programming, and artificial intelligence. On completion, students will have produced several complete game concepts in a playable form.
- An active learning environment that includes dedicated game development studios.
- Games Development students have competed successfully in national and international digital game events including:
- 2017 Games Fleadh: Winners of seven awards and runners up in Games Studio Ireland Challenge.
- 2016 Games Fleadh: Outright winners of best game award.
- Institute of Technology Carlow’s final year project showcase is attended by leading employers in the games and IT industries.
- Work placements are offered as part of all undergraduate courses with leading national and international companies.
- The department maintains an international perspective through widespread collaboration with other computing departments and higher education providers with active research links with Netherlands, France, China, Finland, Norway, Hungary and UK.
- Graduates of this course are sought after by employers and Institute of Technology Carlow alumni are working for prominent companies such as Aeria Games, Glu Mobile, Havok, Swrve, Demonware and Microsoft.
Start Your Story at IT Carlow Video
Michael Rainsford Ryan, Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computer Games Development - Click below to view
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates have the option to progress to postgraduate studies at either Masters or Doctoral level within the GameCORE Research Centre at Institute of Technology Carlow or elsewhere. Graduates will also be eligible to undertake the MSc in IT Management or the MA in Interaction Design at Institute of Technology Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
The games industry is vibrant and rapidly expanding with excellent employment opportunities with game publishers and games development studios both at home and abroad.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 2H5 & 4O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Human Computer Interaction
Concept Art and Animation
Software Engineering for Games 1
Applied Physics 1
Human Computer Interaction
Gameplay Programming I
Web Development & Databases
Data Structures & Algorithms
Gameplay Programming II
Developing for Games Devices
Project II (Games)
Games Engineering II
AI for Games
Real World Modelling and Simul
Online Gaming Technologies
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Ross Palmer, BSc (Hons), MSc