Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Games Development CW208
- NFQ Level 8
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Games Development is one of the most exciting areas of software that one can work in. As one of the fastest growing industries, graduates of this programme are sought after by industry leaders such as Demonware, Aeria Games and Swrve.
The games industry is rapidly growing and Ireland is gaining international recognition as a centre of excellence due to the calibre of graduates in this field.
This four-year honours programme provides students with the skills they need to become professional games developers. Students will acquire skills in software design and programming, game design, graphics programming, modelling, simulation and animation. On completion, students will have produced several complete game concepts in a playable form. Students will design and develop games for a range of platforms including PC, Playstation Vita, Android, iOS, OUYA and Windows Phone. Lectures and course practicals cover game industry development technologies, including:
- Game engines and middleware such as Unity 3D; Unreal Engine, Source Engine, Havok and PhysX;
- Frameworks such as MonoGame, Cocos2d-x, SFML, OpenGL and DirectX;
- Game development and peripheral technology such as Kinect and Occulus Rift.
An active learning environment that includes dedicated game development studios.
- Games Development students have competed successfully in national and international digital game events including:
- 2015 Games Fleadh: 30 IT Carlow students won the top five awards;
- 2014 Gamescraft: Winners of the People’s Choice Award.
- IT Carlow’s final year project showcase is attended by leading employers in the games and IT industries.
- Work placements are offered as part of all undergraduate programmes with leading national and international companies.
- The department maintains an international perspective through widespread collaboration with other computing departments and higher education providers with active research links with Netherlands, France, China, Finland, Norway, Hungary and UK.
- Graduates of this course are sought after by employers and IT Carlow alumni are working for prominent companies such as Aeria Games, Playfirst, Havok, Swrve, Demonware and Microsoft.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates will have the option to progress to postgraduate studies at either Masters or Doctoral level within the GameCORE Research Centre at IT Carlow or elsewhere. Graduates will also be eligible to undertake the MSc in IT Management or the MA in Interaction Design at IT Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?
Graduates will be eligible to join various professional computing bodies e.g. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, The Association of Computing Machinery, The Irish Computer Society and Engineers Ireland.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
The games industry is vibrant and rapidly expanding with excellent employment opportunities with game publishers and games development studios both at home and abroad.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 6 subjects with at least 2 subjects at Higher Level Grade H5 or better.
- 4 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7.
- English or Irish at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
- Mathematics at Ordinary Level Grade O3 or Higher Level Grade H7 or better.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
Computer Architecture for Game Devices
Group Elective 1
Applied Maths (Elective1-Core)
Group Elective 2
Applied Maths (Elective2)
Software Engineering for Games 1
Applied Physics 1
Human Computer Interaction
Gameplay Programming I
Web Development & Databases
Data Structures & Algorithms
Gameplay Programming II
Developing for Games Devices
Project II (Games)
Games Engineering II
AI for Games
Real World Modelling and Simul
Online Gaming Technologies
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Ross Palmer, BSc, MSc