Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computing in Interactive Digital Art and Design SE608
- NFQ Level 8
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Interactive Digital Art and Design is one of the most creative careers within the technology industry. As concept creators, graduates will have direct influence on product design. User-focused design is critical in industries such as games, application development, entertainment media, simulation, virtual reality, animation and film production.
This course provides graduates with the skills required to become a professional digital artist and application developer. They will acquire skills in concept design, art production and graphics programming. On completion, you will have produced numerous concepts for games, applications and entertainment media.
Lectures and course practicals cover industry-standard tools and technologies including:
- Concept Design: Balsamiq, Sketch and Invision
- 2D Art: Photoshop, Illustrator
- 3D Art: 3D Studio Max, Blender, Maya, Zbrush
Collaboration is actively encouraged throughout this course. Collaboration, beginning in first year, with students from Computer Games Development will result in the creation of numerous portfolio titles, game projects and technical demonstrations.
Is this course for you?
- Are you interested in creating interactive digital art for applications, games, film and media?
- Students of this course will explore the world of design and digital art for technology applications used in technology and entertainment industries.
- Design and Interactive Digital Art are pivotal to simplifying complex interfaces and enabling audience immersion.
- SETU Carlow's final year project showcase is attended by leading employers in creative industries.
- Students will develop interactive art within a collaborative environment with an emphasis on teamwork, group work and project work throughout the course.
- Work placements incorporated into Year 3 and are offered with leading national and international companies; students may also opt to complete a portfolio project.
- The department maintains an international perspective through widespread collaboration with other computing departments and higher education providers with active research links with Germany, Netherlands, France, China, Finland, Norway, Hungary and UK.
- Exit Award: Bachelor of Science in Computing in Interactive Digital Art and Design (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates have the option to progress to postgraduate studies at either masters or doctoral level within the CompuCORE or Research centre at SETU Carlow or elsewhere. Graduates are also eligible to pursue MSc or MA programmes at SETU.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
As this course is focused on the user centred design, graduates will develop skills in 2D and 3D interactive art creation, user experience design, user interface design and programming.
Graduates can work as 2D concept artists, 3D concept artists, technical artists, user experience designers, user interface designers and user interface programmers.
Course participants will be visual design literate within the interactive digital art space and able to
effectively use colour, form, light and composition. Graduates will be ready to contribute to the development and preparation of prototypes and style determination of games, applications and entertainment media.
Portfolio Games (Art, Design Programming) Year 2 Interactive Digital Art and Design
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 2H5 & 4O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Human Computer Interaction
Introduction to 2D Digital Art
Mathematics for Graphics
Introduction to Programming
Introduction to Data Analytics
Concept Art for Games
Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
User Interface Testing
User Interface Programming
Introduction to 3D Digital Art
User Interface Prototyping
Web User Interface Design
User Experience Measurement
Interactive Content Creation
Advanced User Interface Programming
Approved Semester Abroad
Visual Effects Programming
Design Process and Methodology
Advanced 2D and 3D Character Modeling
Project (part 1)
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
MSc, BSc (Hons)