NEW Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computing in Interactive Digital Art and Design CW268
- NFQ Level 8
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Interactive Digital Art and Design is one of the most creative careers within the technology industry. As a concept creator, you will have a direct influence on product design. User-focused design is critical in industries such as games, application development, entertainment media, simulation, virtual reality, animation and film production.
This course provides you with the skills required to become a professional digital artist and application developer. You will acquire skills in concept design, art production and graphics programming. On completion, you will have produced numerous concepts for games, applications and entertainment media.
Lectures and course practicals cover industry-standard tools and technologies including:
- Concept Design: Balsamiq, Sketch and Invision
- 2D Art: Photoshop, Illustrator
- 3D Art: 3D Studio Max, Blender, Maya, ZBrush
- An active learning environment that includes dedicated interactive digital art studios providing a real-world working environment with industry links
- Institute of Technology Carlow’s final year project showcase is attended by leading employers in creative industries
- Students will develop interactive art within a collaborative environment with an emphasis on teamwork, group work and project work throughout the programme
- Work placements incorporated into Year 3 and are offered with leading national and international companies, students may also opt to complete a portfolio project
- The department maintains an international perspective through widespread collaboration with other computing departments and higher education providers with active research links with Netherlands, France, China, Finland, Norway, Hungary and UK.
- Exit Awards: Higher Certificate in Computing in Interactive Digital Art and Design (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2 and Bachelor of Science in Computing in Interactive Digital Art and Design (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3
- Graduates of this course will be highly sought after by employers and Institute of Technology Carlow alumni are working for prominent companies such as Microsoft, Facebook, IBM, Google, Apple and Dell.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates have the option to progress to postgraduate studies at either Masters or Doctoral level within the GameCORE or Research centre at the Institute of Technology Carlow or elsewhere. Graduates are also eligible to pursue MSc or MA programmes at Institute of Technology Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
As this programme is focused on the user-centred design you will develop skills in 2D and 3D Interactive Art creation, User Experience Design, User Interface Design and Programming.
Graduates will take up varied roles such as 2D Concept Artist, User Experience Design, User Interface Design and Programmer. You will be visual design literate within the interactive design art space and be able to effectively use colour, form, light and composition. After graduating you will be ready to contribute to the development and preparation of prototypes and style determination of games, applications and entertainment media.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- 2H5 & 4O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Concept Art and Animation
Human Computer Interaction
Digital Media Design
User Interface Prototyping
User Interface Programming
Web User Interface Design
Interactive Content Creation
User Experience Measurement
Advanced User Interface Programming
2D and 3D Environmental Modelling
Visual Effects Programming
Emergent Human Computer Interaction
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director,
Philip Bourke MSc, BSc (Hons)