Bachelor of Science in Construction Management SE726
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Construction Projects supply the key infrastructure that is vital for the functioning of our modern society ranging from Schools to Hospitals, Houses, Apartment Buildings, Office Blocks, Factories, Warehouses, Data Centres, Shops & Retail. Construction Managers are responsible for managing the construction of these projects from concept to completion, ensuring that they meet the client’s requirements and are completed on time and within budget.
Construction Managers must have a deep understanding of Construction Technology and the Construction Process. They must apply expert Project Management skills to manage challenging multi-faceted projects. They must be able to Plan, Organise and Coordinate as well as have strong Problem Solving and People Management skills.
Construction Managers work for Building Contractors, Project Management Consultants and directly for large clients. There are excellent Career prospects for Construction Managers with an expanding Irish economy ensuring a strong ongoing demand.
Our course is built around helping you to develop the key skills to become a Construction Manager. You will develop a good understanding of different Methods of Construction and Construction Technology ranging from housing to more complex commercial and industrial developments. You will learn about the Legal and Contractual framework used in construction. You will develop key Project Management Skills in the areas of planning, organising and coordinating and an understanding of the lifecycle of construction projects. You will also study the day-to-day operational management of a construction site
We believe in Learning by Doing. In addition to lectures, we place a strong emphasis on practical work. You will develop your skills through working on Individual and Team Projects that are focussed on real construction problems. This will enable you to improve your critical problem-solving and analytical skills. You will also gain experience in leading-edge technology and software as used in the construction industry,
A core part of the course is the industrial placement in the second semester of Year 3 where you will spend 6 months working in the industry.
You will have the option of continuing on to Year 4 of our Level 8 honours degree. This will allow you to further develop the core skills for a career as a Construction Manager.
Is this course for you?
Do you enjoy working on practical projects and working in teams with other people? Are you interested in building things? Do you want to work in a vibrant industry with great employment/career prospects? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then Construction Management should be of interest to you!
- This course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) which means that it meets the high standards for Level 7 Construction Management graduates set by the CIOB.
- A strong commitment to Learning by Doing. Theory and Lectures are combined with practical individual and team-based projects which allow you to tackle real construction challenges.
- Training in leading-edge technology and software for the construction industry to ensure that you are work ready on completion of your degree.
- Equips you with the core skills of a Construction Manager in Construction Technology, Project Management and the Legal & Contractual Framework for construction projects.
- The 6-month industrial placement allows you to learn and develop in an industrial setting and make vital contacts to help progress your career.
- Excellent career prospects in an expanding construction industry
- Our recommended option is to continue to year 4 of our Level 8 Construction Management degree to achieve an honours degree in Construction Management and further develop your core skills as a Construction Manager.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates may progress to Year 4 of our Level 8 Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Construction Management. We strongly recommend this option.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Career prospects are excellent for those working in the Construction Industry. As Ireland continues to grow and develop there is a growing demand for all types of construction ranging from new housing to hospitals, offices, schools, retail and industrial premises. These will all required skilled Construction managers. You can expect to work in one of the following areas:
- Work With Building Contractors – managing the construction process to deliver top-class projects
- Work With Project Management Consultants – working as a project manager with clients to manage a project from the initial conception stage through the design and construction phases to final completion and handover.
- Work with Property Developers – working directly for property developers to manage their whole property procurement process from project identification through to project completion.
- Work with Large Organisations on their Building Infrastructures needs – Many large retail and industrial companies have internal building procurement offices that are responsible for managing their new building developments.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Domestic Technology and Structural Appreciation 1
AutoCAD, IT and Communications
Introduction to the Construction Industry
Domestic Technology and Structural Appreciation 2
Materials, Building and Land Surveying
Building Services 1
Building Information Modelling 1
Construction Management Fundamentals
Measurement and Estimating
Commercial and Industrial Technology 1, Sustainable Technology 1
Construction Health, Safety and Risk Management
Building Services 2
Construction Law Introduction
Commercial and Industrial Technology 2, Sustainable Technology 2
Contract Management and Planning 1
Accounting and Mathematics
Contract Management and Planning 2
Integrated Construction Technology Project
Applied Site Management
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director