Bachelor of Science in Architectural Technology CW407
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
While architects are responsible for creating initial concepts and designs, architectural technologists are more concerned with the technical side of construction. Architectural technologists work closely with architects as part of the architect’s team, preparing working drawings, schedules and specifications. They also work with other building professionals on site surveys, building regulations, fire safety certificates and planning applications.
The course equips students with real-life problem solving and communication skills and a broad understanding of relevant building regulations, health and safety welfare legislation and the theory and practice of environmental design.
- Accredited by Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) and The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT).
- A studio-based technical design course with dedicated studio space for students of each year.
- Students will acquire proficiency in Graphics, Computer Aided Design (CAD), Revit and Building Information Modelling (BIM).
- Institute of Technology Carlow has well-established international industry links, providing students with the opportunity to study abroad through Erasmus and summer work placements (Year 3) programmes.
- Exit Award: Higher Certificate in Science in Architectural Technology (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates may progress to Year 4 of the Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Architectural Technology (CW468) in Institute of Technology Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates of Architectural Technology will have the skills to:
- Select the right materials and processes for a project
- Use BIM technology
- Support the architect in the preparation of plans and drawings
- Liaise with other construction professionals.
Typical employers include: private construction firms and contractors; property developers; planning departments and local authorities.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Build Tech, Materials & Struct I
Technical Design & Detailing I
Building Services I
Information Technology & CAD
Evolution of Buildings & Technology I
Graphics, CAD & BIM I
Technical Design & Detailing II
Building Services II
Building Technology, Materials and Structures II
Evolution of Buildings & Technology II
Architectural Practice and Legislation I
Graphics, CAD & BIM II
Architectural Practice and Legislation II
Technical Design & Detailing III
Building Services III
Evolution of Buildings & Technologies III
Build Technology, Materials and Structures III
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
BA Arch (Hons), PG Dip Arch, PG Cert Prof Arch, PG Dip Arch, MSc Arch, MRIAI