Bachelor of Science in Architectural Technology CW407
- NFQ Level 7
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Architectural Technology refers to the technical design and expertise used in the increasingly complex design process required for contemporary architecture. While architects are responsible for creating initial concepts and designs, architectural technologists are more concerned with the technical side of construction. Architectural technologists work closely with architects and other building professionals to resolve any potential design problems before construction starts.
This is a studio-based technical design course that integrates theory with practical application. The course equips students with real-life problem solving and communication skills. The course incorporates an integrated research and design project based on a field study with previous trips to Bilbao, Barcelona and Milan.
Is this course for you?
The idea of being part of a team thatbrings a building from design to realitywill likely inspire you. You will have amechanical aptitude, and the abilityto think in three dimensions. You alsolikely enjoy teamwork. Ultimately, youwill have an interest in buildings, howthey are built, how they work and how they are used.
- Accredited by Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) and The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT).
- A studio-based technical design course with dedicated studio space for students of each year.
- Students will acquire proficiency in Graphics, Computer Aided Design (CAD), Revit and Building Information Modelling (BIM).
- Students complete an integrated research and design project based on a field study. Previous international field trips included visits to Bilbao, Barcelona and Milan.
- Exit Award: Higher Certificate in Science in Architectural Technology (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates may progress to Year 4 of the Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Architectural Technology (CW468) in Institute of Technology Carlow.
What exemptions will I receive?-
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Graduates of Architectural Technology will have the skills to:
- Select the right materials and processes for a project
- Use BIM technology
- Support the architect in the preparation of plans and drawings
- Liaise with other construction professionals.
Typical employers include: private construction firms and contractors; property developers; planning departments and local authorities.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Mathematics O6/H7
Build Tech, Materials & Struct I
Technical Design & Detailing I
Building Services I
Information Technology & CAD
Evolution of Buildings & Technology I
Graphics, CAD & BIM I
Technical Design & Detailing II
Building Services II
Building Technology, Materials and Structures II
Evolution of Buildings & Technology II
Architectural Practice and Legislation I
Graphics, CAD & BIM II
Architectural Practice and Legislation II
Technical Design & Detailing III
Building Services III
Evolution of Buildings & Technologies III
Build Technology, Materials and Structures III
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
MCIAT, RIAI Arch Tech, MA, BSc Arch Tech (Hons)