Bachelor of Science in Pilot Studies SE715 - Direct Entry
- Not applicable, Direct Entry Course. Applications to email@example.com
- Not Applicable, Direct Entry
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
The BSc in Pilot Studies is a three year program that incorporates all the training required for a student to achieve an Air Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL). The program is offered in partnership with an EASA Approved Training Organisation, namely Flight Training Europe Jerez (FTE Jerez).
- Year 1 of the course is delivered at Carlow. It is a blend of Aerospace Engineering and Management modules.
- Years 2 and 3 of the course are delivered at the flight school. Here students will complete the theoretical exams required for an ATPL licence and the necessary flight training in Piper Warrior and Diamond DA-42 aircraft.
- In Year 3 students will also be required to complete a management module through distance learning and a dissertation.
Is this course for you?
- An English test, should English not be your native language.
- Theoretical tests covering: Numerical Reasoning, Numeracy, Maths & Physics and Verbal Reasoning.
- A series of computer-based aptitude tests.
- An interview.
The course is a direct entry course, so applications are processed initially by the flight school and then by college in Carlow. The fees for the course are significant and prospective students should check these before applying.
Partner Flight School
SETU Carlow's partner flight school is FTE Jerez. For more information, visit their website here.
- There is a strong mix of theory and practical classes. In year one, students can expect to be in labs or workshops for approximately 50% of the time.
- The ATPL training meets all the requirements for graduates to be employed as first officers with a commercial airline.
- Is compliant with the Bologna Framework (ECTS credits) and is a great starting point to an airline career for students who have just completed high school level studies.
- Is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
- Graduates of the program have the option of an additional one year Level 8 BSc (Hons) in Pilot Studies.
- Graduates with at least 3 years' experience are eligible to apply for the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) at Carlow.
- Graduates from the program have been accepted onto other Master’s Programs in other Universities in Europe.
What exemptions will I receive?
Exemptions will depend on the courses you apply for. These will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
Year 1 - €9900
Years 2 and 3:
Costs are set by FTE Jerez, but typically they are in the order of €120,000 in total, and include food and accommodation for both academic years.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Like any other program, job prospects will depend on the state of the industry, your attitude, aptitude, and training record. Notwithstanding, the airline industry is a very resilient industry.
History has shown that despite significant challenges such as the COVID and SARS crises, and the financial crisis of 2008, the industry has always recovered.
The outlook from the industry is very positive. It has been predicted that 40,000 new aircraft will be required by 2041. This is to cater for the demand of people to connect with loved ones, conduct business face to face, explore new parts of the world and support global supply chains.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
Direct entry to this programme is currently exclusive to candidates accepted for FTEJerez's Airline First Officer Programme, FTEJerez graduates and pilots flying for FTEJerez’s airline partners. Candidates over 23 years of age will be interviewed and assessed on an individual basis. Those under 23 years of age must meet the following criteria:
- Have successfully passed the FTEJerez Assessment.
- Irish Leaving Certificate or equivalent. (i.e. German Abitur, UK A-Levels, Spanish Bachillerato, French Baccalauréate, Italian Maturitá).
- Subjects required: 5 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or better, including English at Ordinary Level O6 or better and Mathematics at Ordinary Level O6 or better.
Engineering Mathematics 1
Aircraft Anatomy and Design 1
Aviation Science 1
Avionics Fundamentals 1
Management Fundamentals and Communications
Engineering Mathematics 2
Aircraft Anatomy and Design 2
Aviation Science 2
Technical Aircraft Leasing and Management
Air Law and ATC Procedures
Principles of Flight
Mass and Balance
Human Performance and Limitations
Dissertation - Pilot Studies (part 1)
Multi Crew Cooperation
Group Elective 1
Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)
Multi Engine Piston Class Rating
Multi Engine Instrument Rating
Group Elective 2
Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL)
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director