Bachelor of Science in Pilot Studies SE715 - Direct Entry
- Not applicable, Direct Entry Course.
- Not Applicable, Direct Entry
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
SETU Carlow has been proactive in the development of Aerospace programmes over the last two decades, attracting students from over 27 countries. The BSc in Pilot Studies is a three-year programme that incorporates all the training required for a student to achieve an Air Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL). The programme is offered in conjunction with an EASA Approved Training Organisation.
- Year 1 of the programme is delivered at SETU Carlow. It is a blend of Aerospace Engineering and Management modules.
- Years 2 and 3 of the programme are delivered at the EASA approved flight school. Here students will complete the theoretical exams required for an ATPL licence and the necessary flight training.
- In Year 3 students will also be required to complete a management module through distance learning and a dissertation.
Is this programme for you?
- An English test should English not be your native language.
- Theoretical tests covering: Numerical Reasoning, Numeracy, Maths & Physics and Verbal Reasoning.
- A series of computer-based aptitude tests.
- An interview.
The programme is a direct entry programme, so applications are processed initially by the flight school to ensure candidates are suitable for commercial pilot training, and then by SETU, Carlow. The fees for the programme are significant and prospective students should check these before applying.
SETU has a formal association with the following flight schools.
Flight Training Europe, Jerez (FTE Jerez)
FTE Jerez have been associated with SETU Carlow since 2014.
GreyBird have been associated with SETU Carlow since 2023.
- There is a strong mix of theory and practical classes. In year one, students can expect to be in labs or workshops for approximately 50% of the time.
- The ATPL training meets all the requirements for graduates to be employed as first officers with a commercial airline.
- Is compliant with the Bologna Framework (ECTS credits) and is a great starting point to an airline career for students who have just completed high school level studies.
- Is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
- Graduates of the program have the option of an additional one year Level 8 BSc (Hons) in Pilot Studies.
- Graduates with at least 3 years' experience are eligible to apply for the Master of Business Administration (MBA) at SETU Carlow.
- Graduates from the programme have been accepted onto other Master’s Programmes in other Universities in Europe.
What exemptions will I receive?
Exemptions will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
Year 1 - SETU Tuition fees 9900 Euro.
Years 2 and 3:
Costs are set by the flight school and can be in the order of 120,000 Euro. Prospective students are strongly advised to check these costs before applying.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Like any other program, job prospects will depend on the state of the industry, your attitude, aptitude, and training record. Notwithstanding, the airline industry is a very resilient industry.
History has shown that despite significant challenges such as the COVID and SARS crises, and the financial crisis of 2008, the industry has always recovered.
The outlook from the industry is very positive. It has been predicted that 40,000 new aircraft will be required world-wide by 2041 . This is to cater for the demand of people to connect with loved ones, conduct business face to face, explore new parts of the world and support global supply chains.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
Direct entry to this programme is currently open to candidates accepted for pilot training with our associated flight schools. Candidates over 23 years of age will be interviewed and assessed on an individual basis. Those under 23 years of age must meet the following criteria:
- Have successfully passed the Flight School Assessment.
- Irish Leaving Certificate or equivalent. (i.e. German Abitur, UK A-Levels, Spanish Bachillerato, French Baccalauréate, Italian Maturitá).
- Subjects required: 5 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade O6 or better, including English at Ordinary Level O6 or better and Mathematics at Ordinary Level O6 or better.
An O6 is a minimum mark of 40%.
Aircraft Anatomy and Design 1
Avionics Fundamentals 1
Management Fundamentals and Communications
Engineering Mathematics 1
Aviation Science 1
Aircraft Anatomy and Design 2
Engineering Mathematics 2
Aviation Science 2
Technical Aircraft Leasing and Management
Air Law and ATC Procedures
Principles of Flight
Mass and Balance
Human Performance and Limitations
Dissertation - Pilot Studies (part 1)
Multi Crew Cooperation
Group Elective 1
Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)
Multi Engine Piston Class Rating
Multi Engine Instrument Rating
Group Elective 2
Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL)
Dissertation - Pilot Studies (part 2)
Aircraft General Knowledge
EU Aviation Policy
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director