Bachelor of Science in Pilot Studies CW538 - Direct Entry
- Not applicable, Direct Entry Course. Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Not Applicable, Direct Entry
- 3 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
The BSc in Pilot Studies is a three year program that incorporates all the training required for a student to achieve an Air Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL). The program is offered in partnership with an EASA Approved Training Organisation, namely Flight Training Europe Jerez (FTE Jerez).
Year 1 of the course is delivered at Carlow. It is a blend of Aerospace Engineering and Management modules.
Years 2 and 3 of the course are delivered at the flight school. Here students will complete the theoretical exams required for an ATPL licence and the necessary flight training in Piper Warrior and Diamond DA-42 aircraft.
In Year 3 students will also be required to complete a management module through distance learning and a dissertation.
Is this course for you?
- An English test, should English not be your native language.
- Theoretical tests covering: Numerical Reasoning, Numeracy, Maths & Physics and Verbal Reasoning.
- A series of computer-based aptitude tests.
- An interview.
The course is a direct entry course, so applications are processed initially by the flight school and then by college in Carlow. The fees for the course are significant and prospective students should check these before applying.
- There is a strong mix of theory and practical classes. In year one, students can expect to be in labs or workshops or approximately 50% of the time.
- The ATPL training meets all the requirements for graduates to be employed as first officers with a commercial airline.
- Is compliant with the Bologna Framework (ECTS credits) and is a great starting point to an airline career for students who have just completed high school level studies.
- Is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society.
Partner Flight School
Institute of Technology Carlow's partner flight school is FTE Jerez. For more information, visit their website here.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates of the program have the option of an additional one year Level 8 BSc (Hons) in Pilot Studies.
Graduates with at least 3 years' experience are eligible to apply for the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) at Carlow.
Graduates from the program have been accepted onto other Master’s Programs in other Universities in Europe.
What exemptions will I receive?
Exemptions will depend on the courses you apply for. These will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
Like any other program, job prospects will depend on the state of the industry, your attitude, aptitude and training record. Notwithstanding, the market was very buoyant until March 2020. There is no doubt that the market has suffered since, due to the COVID pandemic.
However, the airline industry has historically always recovered strongly from global crises such as the SARS outbreak or the Financial Crisis of 2008, and the sector has doubled in size every 15 years since 1970.
Graduating from a prominent flight school such as FTE Jerez and simultaneously having a third level qualification will certainly enhance your career prospects.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
Direct entry to this programme is currently exclusive to candidates accepted for FTEJerez's Airline First Officer Programme, FTEJerez graduates and pilots flying for FTEJerez’s airline partners. Candidates over 23 years of age will be interviewed and assessed on an individual basis. Those under 23 years of age must meet the following criteria:
- Have successfully passed the FTEJerez Assessment.
- Irish Leaving Certificate or equivalent. (i.e. German Abitur, UK A-Levels, Spanish Bachillerato, French Baccalauréate, Italian Maturitá).
- Subjects required: 5 subjects at Ordinary Level Grade D3 or better, including English at Ordinary Level O6 or better and Mathematics at Ordinary Level O6 or better.
Digital Techniques (part 1)
Electrical Fundamentals (part 1)
Electronic Fundamentals (part 1)
Mathematics (part 1)
Role of the Front Line Manager
Digital Techniques (part 2)
Electrical Fundamentals (part 2)
Electronic Fundamentals (part 2)
Mathematics (part 2)
Air Law and ATC Procedures
Principles of Flight
Mass and Balance
Human Performance and Limitations
Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)
Multi Engine Piston Class Rating
Multi Engine Instrument Rating
Multi Crew Cooperation
Dissertation - Pilot Studies (part 1)
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
BEng, MSc, MBA