Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy CW188
- NFQ LEVEL 8
- 4 Years
- Further Studies
- Career Prospects
- Entry Requirements
What is the Course about?
Participation in competitive and recreational sport has greatly increased over recent years with an inevitable increase in sports-related injuries. Sports rehabilitation focuses on both preventative assessment and curative aspects of injury. This four-year honours programme equips learners with the skills to manage the assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injured individuals. The programme offers a unique blend of academic theory, practical workshops and clinical placements in the final year, ensuring learners have real world experience. Students on this programme enjoy state-of-the-art facilities with an elite gym and a fully equipped dedicated rehabilitation unit on campus. Modules over the four years include: anatomy physiology; exercise physiology, manual therapy, sports nutrition; first aid; electrotherapy; sports massage; pathology of injury; neuromusculoskeletal assessment and differential diagnosis. Year 4 includes a research project, clinical studies and work experience opportunities in the USA, South Africa, Australia, Britain or Ireland.
• Students gain hands-on clinical experience in our dedicated teaching clinic on-campus.
• Practical experience working with IT Carlow sports teams.
• All students have the opportunity to do a clinical work placement nationally or internationally in countries including USA, South Africa, Australia, Britain and Ireland.
• Graduates of this course are sought after by leading companies and our alumni are working for national and international organisations such as Cycling Ireland.
• Graduates of Physiology and Health Science (CW106) may apply for entry to Year 3 CW188.
• Exit award: Higher Certificate in Physiology and Health Science (NFQ Level 6).
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Graduates are eligible to apply for the MSc in Strength and Conditioning at IT Carlow or can transfer to a wide range of taught and research postgraduate programmes at MSc and PhD Level nationally and internationally. A number of graduates have gone on to preregistration physiotherapy Masters programmes in Ireland and the UK.
What exemptions will I receive?
Graduates may sit the ARTI examination on completion of the programme. On passing this exam, graduates can use the title ‘Certified Athletic Rehabilitation Therapist’. Further exams include the United States Board of Certification exam (BoC) and National Athletics Therapist Association (NATA) exam and/or the Canadian exam. Successful completion entitles the graduate to work in the USA or Canada as an Athletic Trainer (ATC).
What will I be able to do when I finish the course?
On completion of this programme, graduates will be competent and effective practitioners in sports injury and performance. Graduates are qualified to be sports rehabilitators and/or athletic therapists and can secure employment with professionals, semi-professionals, amateur sports clubs and organisations in third level institutions, sports injury clinics or with amateur or professional sporting bodies.
What are the minimum entry requirements?
Leaving Certificate: 6 subjects with at least
• 2 subjects at Higher Level grade C3 or better.
• 4 subjects at Ordinary Level grade D3 or better.
• Mathematics at Ordinary Level grade D3 or better.
• English or Irish, Ordinary Level grade D3 or better.
Graduates with relevant Bachelor of Science Degree.
Mature applicants will be assessed on an individual basis and may be interviewed.
Communication, Innovation and Teamwork
Exercise & Fitness Instruction
Quantitative Methods 2
Anatomy, Kinesiology & Biomech
Exercise, Fitness II & Massage
Neuromuscular Skeletal Asses
Pathology of Injury
Exercise Physiology & Pathophysiology
Strength & Conditioning
Sport Nutrition & Psychology
Movement Dysfunction I
Orthotics & Strap/First Aid
Traumatology & Advanced Rehab
Exercise Physiology 3
Research Project & Dissertation
For Further Information ContactProgramme Director
Work Placement Co-ordinator
T: 059 9175513
Head of Department
BA, MSc, PgDip
T: 059 9175500